Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Story of Transition: Candice



Everyone, meet Candice and her beautiful curls! Below is her story of transition, I hope you all enjoy!



 Please introduce yourself!
I am Candice J., (Natural Dancer). I'm the artistic director of the Texas-based dance company, Ordered Steps Productions. OSP specializes in out-the-box, high-octane praise & worship, using various styles of dance to worship God through dance! I am also a writer & facilitator of "The Frizzness!" natural hair blog.


When did you decide you wanted to transition to natural?
A part of me always wanted to go natural - I just didn't understand the dynamics of it! But I'd always swooned over the heads of Cree Summer, Jasmine Guy, Lisa Nicole Carson, Sabra (So You Think You Can Dance), and of course...Tracee Ellis Ross! I never imagined that I could have my own crown of glory to love! I started getting the pull strongly & began researching what all goes into transitioning; I just flat decided one day: I want to know what MY hair looks like. And to think: I used to rock a jheri curl!

 Do you plan on being a long term transitioner or a short term?
I was long term - 17 months. I BC'd 2/18/11

 How has it been managing 2 textures throughout this journey of transition?
I was easy for me. I stuck to co-washing, braid-outs & buns. Many people thought I was already natural, so I figured "Why not?"



    Are there any products that you have been using that you cannot live without?
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie/Moisture Milk, V05 Strawberries & Cream Conditioner, Fantasia IC Gel & castor or olive oil!

   Do you have your hair on a “regimen schedule?” (ex. How often do you wash, detangle, ect.)
Nope, I just rock the way my fro wants to go! She tells me when she needs to be washed & when she's tired & needs to be left alone, ha ha!


What’s been your “go to” hairstyle since you've decided to go natural?
Faux-n-go: damp hair, moisturizer/styler & oil....let the shrinkage begin! I'll either let it fron out, or puff out.

  What excites you about seeing your natural, kinks, curls and coil?
I just love the way my hair coils at the ends! I love twisting my hair & watching them bounce or snap when I pull them. Not having to make a mad dash like I'm Michael Johnson when it rains. And just the actual fun of it all!



    Where can we find you on the web?
You Tube: dancegrl7 - Ordered Steps Productions Dance Company

  Do you have any advice that you want to share with fellow transitioners?
Be patient & kind to your hair. Find out what she likes. Stay away from heat, using braid outs, twist outs & buns. And don't get too far attached to the texture - it WILL be different when you BC. And remember: there's 2 sides to every frizz!

No comments:

Post a Comment