Friday, June 17, 2011

Captured Curls:Tina

Today's Captured Curls feature has beautiful locs! Read her story below.



Tell us a little about yourself

My name is Christina Yates. I prefer Tina. In addition to being a proud full-time mommy, I am a full-time college student studying Early Childhood/Special Education. Ultimately, my goal is to obtain my masters in Cali and open up a 24-hour daycare. In the meantime, in between time, I work full time in retail, as a customer service representative. One question my customers ask frequently is, "Why don't you play around with modeling?" For a while, I would give them all some random long drawn out response about me not being interested. I'm beginning to believe now, however, that I just never really thought about it!

What made you decide to grow your locs?

The reason I decided to grow my locs the Summer of 2007 is because I was a dedicated athlete who knew absolutely nothing about hair and figured locs would require the least maintenance. For the first or second year of my loc'ing process, I would literally just wake up and go on about my day. And yes, I LOVED IT. I cut all my hair off to start from 'scratch', and loved my gel twists the very second they were in my head. At this particular time, I was unaware of right and wrong in terms of product efficiency, so I was using bees-wax, mango-lime products, and several other products I probably wouldn't recommend now. Make no mistake, I still don't consider myself a 'loc guru' or anything, but over the course of time, I have developed a preference on hair products. In addition, my thought process has changed in regards to locs requiring the least maintenance as well.

What do you do to maintain your locs?

As far as maintenance goes, I am ashamed to say that I really do the bare minimum to my hair. I get them washed and re-twisted every 4-6 weeks. Every now and again I moisturize my locs with Organics Shea Butter or Carrot Oil. I wash and condition my hair with Cantu Moisturizing Cream Shampoo and Rinse out conditioner as well. One thing I CAN pat myself on the back for is tying my hair down with a scarf each and EVERY single night. I also spray my locs with Olive Oil Sheen Spray. But like I mentioned before, I do these remedies infrequently. I've gotten in the habit of going to a loctician for the maintenance because I'm.. how do I say it... well...  LAZY. 

What do you think about men with locs and what do they think about you and yours?

Men with Locs? I adore the men who take care of their locs more than I do. lol. Double-standards, I tell ya. But honestly, I love men with well maintained and styled locs. I must admit, I am also a fan of caucasian men with locs. And men love my locs just as much as I do. Maybe even more than I do!! 

What made you decide that you wanted to grow locs?
The reason I decided to grow my locs the Summer of 2007 is because I was a dedicated athlete who knew absolutely nothing about hair and figured locs would require the least maintenance. For the first or second year of my loc'ing process, I would literally just wake up and go on about my day. And yes, I LOVED IT. I cut all my hair off to start from 'scratch', and loved my gel twists the very second they were in my head. At this particular time, I was unaware of right and wrong in terms of product efficiency, so I was using bees-wax, mango-lime products, and several other products I probably wouldn't recommend now. Make no mistake, I still don't consider myself a 'loc guru' or anything, but over the course of time, I have developed a preference on hair products. In addition, my thought process has changed in regards to locs requiring the least maintenance as well.


Are there any advantages and/or disadvantages with growing having your hair loc’d?

I would say the ultimate benefit to having locs is obtaining the courage and confidence to be yourself and do what is that you want to do with your hair! Each stage of the growth process was nothing but love for me. The disadvantage..? I would say seeing someone else with locs that look slightly better than your own. lol. (REALLY THOUGH.)

Do you have any advice for those who are considering embarking on a loc journey?

To those who are considering loc'ing their hair, my advice to you is DO IT! Do not second guess, or stress over the stages your dread experiencing. As I mentioned before, each stage will definitely be appreciated as the time progresses. That is in fact, the beauty of locs. It's funny because one of the happiest times of my life was when I was pregnant in 2008. I was treated like a Queen. Didn't have to wait in line for the restrooms. Ate all day every day. And I had the mother-to-be glow. As I look back at the pictures during that time, my locs were short, and blonde, and probably the prettiest they could ever be. (Excuse me while I reach for my Kleenex....although I should be greasing my scalp.)  Needless to say, I am such a fan of locs. To me, they are more than a hairstyle, but somewhat of a lifestyle. Forgive my cliche!

Where can we find you on the web?

Feel free to contact me at:

YatesC0317@gmail.com (Email)
@thevirginMARLEY (twitter)


No comments:

Post a Comment