Monday, June 6, 2011

A Story of Transition: Athina Weems



I am pleased to introduced my first Story of Transition feature, the beautiful Athina volunteered to be the first feature and I love her story! She is also a returning Safi customer of mine and is always a pleasure to do business with. Read her great story below. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic




  Please introduce yourself!

 Hi guys! My name is Athina. I am a 22 year old Senior at the University of Cincinnati. I am a full time student, part time employee and a natural hair freak!




   When did you decide you wanted to transition to natural?
I decided to transistion after my friend decided to become natural. She did the big chop, and since I couldn't bare to cut my hair she basically taught me how to transition. My hair was so damaged after getting so many relaxers anyway, so I decided to go for it!

   Do you plan on being a long term transitioner or a short term?
I was long term, I cut my hair into a bob, and just let it grow out from there
How has it been managing 2 textures throughout this journey of transition?
I kept my hair flat ironed during the whole process, it wasn't until last summer when I decided to start wearing my hair curly.

 Are there any products that you have been using that you cannot live without?
 Safi's Natural HairCare Hairsicle Cream & Avocado Shea Butter, Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade & Honey Hemp Conditioner, and the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Line
Do you have your hair on a “regimen schedule?” (ex. How often do you wash, detangle, ect.)
 I cowash whever my hair feels dry with a cheapie conditoner like Aussie Moist or Suave, and since Cincinnati has unberable heat at times its ususally once or twice a week. I only shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo (Shea Moisture Brillaint Curl Shampoo) when I feel the need to have a super clean scalp, and thats usually like once a month. Whenever I shampoo I usually deep condition either with something homemade, or Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. Then style however I want.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
What’s been your “go to” hairstyle since you've decided to go natural?
Twist outs, and Puffs!
What excites you about seeing your natural, kinks, curls and coils?
That I could actually grow my hair like this! It's amazing to see how much it has grown in the past year!


Where can we find you on the web?
On twitter! twitter.com/thina_marie =)

Do you have any advice that you want to share with fellow transitioners?
Be confident!

No comments:

Post a Comment