Tuesday, June 28, 2011

There is nothing wrong with potatoes

Do I still count as a blogger if it has taken me a month to post something new?

It is not because I have not had ideas about what to post.  Well, sort of.  I want to strike a balance between fun and serious stuff.  Enough life expectancy data, although new research just came out showing us that some counties in Mississippi have life expectancy numbers that look quite similar to developing countries.  But I won't write about that today.

I want to write about food.  The bit of news about the worst foods for your diet was inspiring.

Potatoes?  The worst food for you?  My heart sank briefly, until I read the fine print.

Potato chips! Potato fries! Shocker. This is not a surprise.  If I had any doubts, they were erased when Barack Obama was reported to have nibbled on one whole fry during an entire evening dinner with his wife while campaigning for president. (Personally, I saw that as an example of how to control my uncontrollable urge to keep eating fries once they are put in front of me.)  He ate his arugula salad.

Potato fries and chips or crisps being the worst food...this I can live with.  Deep fry broccoli and cauliflower and they would also make the worst foods list in a minute.

So it's not necessarily the potato. It's all about how you cook it and how much of it you eat. I feel that a lot of advice about good and bad foods neglect to mention portions and portion control.  As someone who recently put myself on a project to learn how to eat better, I realized that 90 percent (or thereabouts) of the secret of weight control for me was in portion control and how I cook.

Really, I just wanted to share my very cool picture of a heart-shaped potato!

No comments:

Post a Comment