Thursday, June 16, 2011

Captured Curls: Latoya


Everyone, meet Latoya! This new natural and new mommy contacted me via email with her great natural hair story, enjoy and read below! 

Tell me about YOU
 My name is Latoya. I’m a 28 year old, new mom of a two month old. I work in higher education as an Undergraduate Services Coordinator. In my free time I dance and blog.

What is your current hair care regimen? 
As the mom of a newborn, I try to keep my regimen pretty simple.  I wash and deep condition my hair every 1-2 weeks.  My signature style right now is a braid out or twist out.  I clarify when there is a lot of build-up and once a month I do a bentonite clay treatment. 

What is your hair type and what works best for your texture?
My hair is 4a/4b with low porosity, medium/thick strands, course, dense, with 75% shrinkage.  I have a tighter curl pattern on the sides and back. The top of my hair has a looser curl pattern. It is best for me to keep my hair stretched to avoid tangling and knots. (Wash and gos are not an option for me!)  My hair loves shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil.  My favorite products are: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Avalon Organics Peppermint Shampoo, Giovanni Direct Leave-in, and Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner. 

What reaction did you get when you first decided to go natural?
 My family has made jokes in fun, but they are very supportive. I used to be sensitive about the jokes, but now that I’m very comfortable with my hair I think their jokes are hilarious. (Confidence goes a long way!)My sister has been my biggest supporter. She is the one that introduced me to the online hair community. She continues to be my cheerleader throughout my natural hair journey.


Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I was a short term transitioner (5 ½ months). My last relaxer was April 26, 2010 when I decided to cut my hair into a Rihanna cut. I big chopped on Saturday, October 16, 2010 on a whim. After work, I called my hairdresser and headed straight to the salon. I had no choice but to be a short term transitioner, because I had cut my hair so short. My natural hair took over and the scraggly relaxed ends had to go. (I’d been randomly cutting parts of my hair –first the back then the sides. I realized it was time to go see a professional.)

What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
 I love the versatility of my hair.  I no longer feel the need to cut my hair to get a new look. I also love the fact that I am no longer putting harsh relaxers on my sensitive scalp.

Where can we find you on the web?
Twitter: toyachronicles

Anything EXTRA you want us to know?

Take the time to learn your hair. Listen to it and respond accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment