Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Random: Us, ugly black girls...

I'm sure y'all have heard and/or read about the article posted on Psychology Today's website stating that us black women are less physically attractive than other races. Now, I told myself not to blog about this but after seeing a snippet of the Dark Girls documentary I was compelled to share my thoughts about my race. I really do not want to get into the specifics of the study, which I find to be absurd but I will share my opinion about being a young black women in America.

After reading the "study" on how ugly me and my fellow black women are I literally had to take a moment and look in the mirror, then I proceeded to go online and Google black women. I was confused; I saw nothing but beauty. From the shades of our skin to the shapes of our bodies--I couldn't find anything "ugly" about us. Sure, we all are different and yes, we may not all be attractive to everyone but that's life. I've seen plenty of White women, Hispanics and so forth that aren't the ideal image of what society deems beautiful so why is that WE, one of the most diverse race of people crowned the ugliest? That makes no sense to me. In my honest opinion, either you're physically attractive or you are not. I don't think race has a direct impact on your beauty.  Everyone is not for everybody but there is always someone out there for somebody, many fail to realize this.

I think that black women have come a long way, we have evolved and it seems that just when we start to love ourselves someone comes around and tries to steal our joy. I can't even begin to imagine what our youth thinks about the article. I know for me, growing up as a "little black girl" was tough. I was never "pretty enough," light enough, hair was never quite long enough; even though for years it was past my shoulders or longer. I hated myself. Being African American sucked and I longed to be a white girl. I never saw the white kids picking on each other because of there hair or skin tone. It was always all love with them but for my people, it was a slew of competition and slanderous words that cut deep when you are fourteen years old. If this article would've come out when I was in high school I really think myself hatred would've grown to be even worse; especially since I didn't know any better than what I was telling myself. Good thing I eventually  learned self love and acceptance as I grew older. I worry about my race and our youth, someone has to teach these kids that you don't have to be "light skin, long hair" to be beautiful. Beauty, when it comes down to it, is an opinion that not everyone will agree with. I know that there are so many other black girls out there who feel the same way that I used to and it's painful. Black folks are in competition with themselves and WE hate OUR people, so it seems. Where are the uplifting articles about how strong and resilient we are? Where are the positive statements posted about our looks, features and beauty? Where are our men doting on us for who we are versus wanting a "bad bitch who looks tropic?" Instead we get slandered and laced with "oh, girl you ugly" comments. Which shows that if you aren't a "certain type" of black girl you'll never be good enough. Well, I beg to differ!

When we starting loving our race as a whole things will change. When we stop comparing ourselves to the next girl things will change. And when we stop name calling and raising our children to be insecure about their kinky hair or darker shade of brown skin, things will change. WE as in US have to make the difference. NO article or scientific study can dictate my beauty. Life is temporary and when the more we get wrapped up in the wrong things the longer it will take for our race to change.

xoxo,
Alex






No comments:

Post a Comment