Monday, January 17, 2011

Urban Decay Book of Shadows III


UD BOS III Cover


I bought this palette more than a month ago when Sephora had their friends & family sale and I haaate doing swatches and taking pictures because it's so time consuming, but I finally got around to it! I've always wanted a Book of Shadows, but they usually put so many permanent shadows in them that I already have that it feels like it's not really worth it to me. This one caught my eye because I really wanted Haight, Radium, and Psychedelic Sister because they're super bright and I don't have them. If I bought them individually, they would've cost $51 and the palette is $54 and with the discount it was $44 which is the same price as the UD Naked Palette! I know, I'm such a nerd with all these numbers, but I can't help it!



pop up picture


Personally, I think the packaging is really bulky. It's not bad to have on your shelf or make up table but if you're traveling it's really inconvenient. It won't fit in my Sephora train case so I just kind of have to leave it lying around in my luggage or in my purse if I travel. It takes up a lot of space and personally, I think the pop up thing is kind of unnecessary. I haven't even opened it other than the first time I got it in the mail and to take these pictures! It lights up and it's kind of cute - it's supposed to be a little snapshot of NYC (hence, NYC palette) - but it's unnecessary. The pop up kind of blocks the mirror so I don't even use the mirror.



cracked mirror =(


Traveling with make up is so tricky because you always risk damaging product! I didn't realize until I took these pictures that the mirror was cracked! I'm going to (hopefully) do a post on traveling with make up, so I'll talk more about it then.



the shadows!
Perversion, Uzi, Loaded, Kush
Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, Last Call, Rockstar, Money
Haight, Maui Wowie, Smog, Bordello
Radium, Snatch, Suspect, Psychedelic Sister


Uzi, Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, Last Call, Haight, Maui Wowie, Smog, Snatch and Psychedelic Sister are all permanent. The rest are all limited edition. It comes with Ransom and Zero (of course) 24/7 liner and a mini UDPP. I have Smog, Uzi, and Midnight Cowboy Rides Again in my other UD palettes and I haaate having duplicates but since I don't have the other colors in the palette, it really makes it worth it for me. My FAVORITE from this palette is Psychedelic Sister! I always get complimented when I wear purples and I love the way this one looks in a purple smokey eye. It's so vibrant and soo... purple! Haight and Radium are really pretty and they caught my eye but I don't use them as much as I thought I would. I love that this palette came with Perversion instead of Zero because I prefer using matte black to smoke out and this can double as a liner too. I haven't played too much with the other colors but I do really like Snatch and Suspect.




shadows with flash



Perversion, Uzi, Loaded, Kush


The swatches of the last two rows aren't too good because Haight and Radium kind of look alike? And the purple in Psychedelic Sister isn't too bright. I think it's the flash! -__- I love wearing white on my lids but I've never been a fan of Uzi because of the chunky glitter! Midnight Cowboy Rides Again has pretty chunky glitter too so those are my least favorites (not to mention they're in every other UD palette!) Kush looks like a grass green to me and Loaded kind of reminds me of MAC's Plumage but I haven't swatched them together. Perversion looks kind of brown in my swatch but it really is matte black!




Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, Last Call, Rockstar, Money


Last Call is a kind of mauve-y pink and Rockstar is a dirty plum. Money really looks like the light green color of money which I thought was kind of cool. I haven't played around with these colors too much but I like them. Most of the colors in this palette are shimmery but I like the shimmer wayy better than chunky glitter.




Haight, Maui Wowie, Smog, Bordello


Haight is a greenish turquoise that kind of reminds me of the ocean. Smog is one of my favorites for neutral looks and Maui Wowie is a great lid color. Bordello is a really light pink, I like it as a lid color with purples.




Radium, Snatch, Suspect, Psychedelic Sister


I don't know why Radium reminds me of that song "Radium Eyes" from one of the older Guitar Hero games! But it's an electric blue. Snatch is really pretty by itself on the lid - its a really light peachy orange color - or it does great with browns. Suspect kind of reminds me of Sidecar from the UD Naked Palette, but I think its slightly lighter. And of course Psychedelic Sister is my favorite! I would describe it as grape purple.




MAC Greasepaint Stick in V, Psychedelic Sister, Psychedelic Sister over V


I really love the way Psychedelic Sister looks over MAC's Greasepaint Stick in V (from the DSquared Collection). It makes it 5 times more vibrant! I can't remember if I already did a FOTD with this but it'll probably be my next FOTD.



Ransom 24/7 Liner

My idiot self forgot to take a swatch of this next to Psychedelic Sister and I didn't wanna swatch Zero next to it because I have a few already and I wanted to sell the one that came in this palette instead of letting it sit in my collection. Overall, I think its worth it. It doesn't come with as much repromotes or permanent colors as other Urban Decay palettes do and even though $54 seems a little pricey, like I said earlier 3 individual shadows pretty much almost add up to the price of the palette which has 16 shadows + 2 liners and a mini UDPP.

No comments:

Post a Comment