Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Beautiful Side Note

I found this post about model Miranda Kerr to be so beautiful and I wanted to share...

On the 6th of January I gave birth to our beautiful little son Flynn. He weighed 9lb 12 ounces (a very healthy and big baby boy). I gave birth to him naturally; without any pain medication and it was a long, arduous and difficult labour, but Orlando was with me the whole time supporting and guiding me through it. I could not have done it without him.~Miranda Kerr via her blog: www.koraorganics.com
This process of becoming a mother has been both a whirlwind and a long 8 months at the same time! We just took birthing classes a week or so ago and since then, I have been scouring the internet for information and videos about birthing naturally. Through the classes I realized that childbirth does not have to be the scary, impossible, terrifying process I once thought it would inevitably be, what society always tells us it will be. Yes, pain is a factor and it is, well, labor. But I realize now that this is what our bodies were made to do and we have everything inside of us that we need to do it. It has been amazing to learn about what birth can be and to allow myself to discard the untruths of what it is not.

I realized too far into this pregnancy that I would rather deliver at a birthing center than at a hospital. I would prefer to have a midwife and a doula and I plan to have a water birth if I have another child. Not to knock hospitals, though. I toured mine and I think I will like the experience as well. I just saw some of the most beautiful images of women bringing forth life as they used the water to help soothe the transition and it looked like something I want to experience in my journey through motherhood.

(The following video is one that I found in my search. It seemed very peaceful, yet powerful. If you don't want to see a natural childbirth, don't watch!)

In addition to birth, I can't wait to breastfeed! Well, at least I hope I am able to. I know so many women who struggle and simply are not able. I feel like I have a good foundation of knowledge from the courses I took and I have dreamed about it on several occasions. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed on that one!

Lastly, I know many of you are also mothers. I want to hear your birth experiences, if you care to share. Tell me what it was like for you to bring forth life and to nourish your little one. What were the highs, the lows, the unexpected moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment