Sunday, January 2, 2011

Plans for 2011: Hair & Beyond...

Happy New Year wonderful Naturally Leslie readers! I hope you had a super safe and fun holiday season. I tried not to eat too much or spend too much but I must say I definitely indulged with the family when I could. It was so great to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday as well as my first Christmas with the hubby. It was also fun to see snow back in NC and I got to spend a lot of time with mom and some old friends.

I don't know about you all but 2011 promises to be a big year for me! I'll post some pics below to see if you can tell what's in store...

Maybe you can see in the puffy cheeks...
Or the expanding girls (ahem) and gut!!
Noooo it's not too much holdiay food. I am excited to share that the hubby and I are expecting our first little bundle of joy! He'll be making his debut in early March and I can't wait. I feel blessed to have had a great pregnancy thus far including the typical nausea at the beginning and feelings of uber chunkiness here near the end. In the pic above I'm painting letters to hang on the wall behind his crib. (I'd forgotten how much fun arts and crafts can be...not to mention soothing!)

With all the thoughts, fears, worries, anxieties, etc that come with impending motherhood, one thing I don't want to zap my time and energy is my hair! I posted earlier about the changes to my regimen and while they are working wonders for my hair, I can't imagine having a spare moment for my strands immediately following the birth. I would rather be cuddling my little boy than detangling and twisting!

In thinking about what I wanted to do with my hair for the delivery and first months of his life I thought back to my afro twists from 2009. I LOVED them but I also remember they were a bit bulky. That was cool at the time but I think I want to go with something a bit sleeker. When I was in 7th grade, I got box braids a la Janet Jackson from Poetic Justice. I think that is what I'm going to go with, albeit updated for 2011, for the birth and some time beyond.

I'm inspired by these looks:

I loved Jada's braids that she sported back in '09.

Solange recently rocked long braids for New Year's Eve. I love the look but won't go this long:

I plan on using the crown and glory method to take care of my hair while in the extensions. I will post more about that routine along with pics once I get my hair done a few weeks before my due date.

As for posting, I still want to share my trip to the Oyin store in Baltimore as well as my review of the products I purchased while there. Also, I would love to hear what is on your mind! There are so many blogs about hair and beauty nowadays that I would like to know what topics you all interested in. I am open for suggestions and ideas!

Finally, what are your plans for the new year? Did you make any resolutions for hair or beyond? Do share!

Love you guys! ;-)

~Les

No comments:

Post a Comment