Monday, January 31, 2011

Brandy's All American Girl

"BRANDY NORWOOD BOUGHT HER DAUGHTER A BLACK DOLL FROM THE AMERICAN GIRL STORE . . . BUT WHY THE DOLL'S HAIR LOOK LIKE THAT???"- Actual Media Takeout Headline



I spotted this pic of Brandy with an American Girl doll in her hands. I thought the doll was cute and I liked the fact that the hair was not bone straight like most dolls. It kinda looks like my hair when I've blown it out a bit. However, to be honest, I really wanted to get a better look to see if Brandy was still rocking her braids so I kept scrolling down. There was only one other pic ( a close-up of the doll) but then I came across the thread of comments left below. It wasn't until then that I actually read the headline. I can't say that I was especially shocked but some of the comments just reeked of ignorance, in my opinion. Here were a few...

"American Girl is supposed to be a HIGH END doll company. They can't be putting out RATCHETNESS for our children . . ."

"Looks like its from Brandy's wig line!! And its a hot mess. Lets just pray Brandy aint DRIVE to the store!"

"MTO...really? Stfu w/ this nonsense. Its a black doll. The texture of the doll's hair is representative of what most of us black women hair is like. At least the doll's hair isn't a nappy fro. Gtfoh. MTO racist as hell with all these race driven stories."

"A lot of those dolls are old fashioned... That's kinda why I like them... But so many black women fry and dye their hair out... This is what our hair would look like if we kept shyt out of it... Long, coarse, and thick..."

"So a doll with the hair texture of black girl is "ratchet"? That's the reason why little black girls grow up hating themselves."

...and so on and so on. Interesting to say the least. Do you all ever see comments like these posted online? Do you ever jump into the conversation or just consider it trashy and stay out?

No comments:

Post a Comment