Thursday, November 18, 2010

Captured Curls: Rianne

Meet the BEAUTIFUL Rianne-
We follow each other on Twitter and last week I asked her if she's be interested in being featured, I am glad she agreed.
Her curls are awesome and I love how she answered the feature questions!
Read her story below and tell me what you think.

ENJOY! 

Tell me about YOU
Rianne
brown university student.mentor.sister.daughter.aunt.future corporate HBIC.vegetarian.book worm.yoga enthusiast.
.professional life liver :).

 Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)
finding the regimen that works for you is an ongoing process that should be tailored to the needs of your hair. right now my regimen is as follows
cowash 3x a week or more with Aussie Moist/ Herbal Essence Hello Hydration due to exercise schedule
Detangle 1x a week in shower with tons of conditioner
Shampoo with Body Shop shampoo bar 1x week
Deep Condition with cap overnight following Shampoo with Aubrey Organics GPB if protein is needed 
or Silk Elements Megasilk Conidtioning treatment if need moisture
I damp bun or some other protective style about 85% of the time with a leave in and oil to seal my ends
I do wash and gos or curlynikki.com twist n curl when im going out
Favorite leave ins: Herbal Essence Long-Term Relationship, Cantu Shea Butter, Kinky Curly Knot Today
Favorite Oils: coconut oil, vatika oil, olive oil, avocado oil. shea butter/coconut oil mix
Other Favorites: aloe vera gel, jilbere wide tooth comb, heating cap, goody spin pins

 Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type
i am a fine 3B/3c/4a with tighter curls towards the back. water based products are magic in my hair

 Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural
I haven't received anything but supportive responses from family and strangers alike since going natural. It's really encouraging to continue this journey and the incidences that I do straighten (3 or 4 times a year) friends express a preference for my trademark curls. I do notice however that black men seem overwhelmingly attracted to the straight look but natural hair seems to appeal to all races, creeds, and colors.

 Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
i was an accidental transitioner. my mom is the only person who touched my hair growing up and that included relaxing my hair. during my senior year in high school i was tired of getting them due to the sores and dandruff that came with the experience and put it off. by the time i made it to college as an athlete at an ivy league school i was convinced a) there would be no way to keep my hair straight b)there is nobody in providence,ri to do my hair and i decided to transition. june 09 i cut the last 2 inches of relaxed hair off  after a 14 month transition.



What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
i love my natural hair for the freedom it affords me. i can sweat it out at a party, get caught in the rain, and switch between straight and textured styles. i think the beauty of textured hair in general whether relaxed, natural, or somewhere in between is the versatility. i think every woman should experience styling her hair with the way it grows from her scalp at least once in her life, even if she decides to relax later on.

 Where can we find you on the web?
twitter: PieceOf_Reese
LongHairCareForum.com 

Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
"take the kinks out of your mind instead of your hair" -- marcus garvey

No comments:

Post a Comment