Friday, November 19, 2010

Loc'd Men: Avante "Boooogie" Davis

I thought to myself  last week, why not do something new? Something fresh? Something FUN and interesting that will make my readers FLOCK to the "Loc'd Men" posts EVERY Friday. Soooooo, here it is, EVERY Friday I am going to try my BEST to post a new Loc'd Man of the week. I know I feature a lot of women and curls but I thought  it would be great to feature some men and their natural hair as well. See below for today's FIRST "Loc'd Man" of the week...



  1. Tell us a little about yourself? (ex. name, age, state, school)
My name is Avante Davis but most know me as Boooogie (with 4 O’s) or @boooogiebetch on twitter. I am a 22 years old Senior Majoring in Fashion Merchandising at Morgan State University in Baltimore Maryland. I am originally from Capitol Heights, MD.

  1. How long have you been growing your locs?
I’ve began locking my hair since my senior year of high school in 2005 but I had hair before then so I haven’t had an actual haircut since about 2002-2003.



  1. What do you use on your hair, product wise, to maintain it?
I use a brand called “Rasta Locks Twists” Resistant Formula Locking Gel, Tingle Shampoo, and Conditioner.

  1. How often do you have to wash and re-twist your loc’s and who styles them?
This may sound a little dirty but I swear my dreads never stink. I only wash my hair about once a month and get it re-twisted every month to two months. My girlfriend does my hair now but my friend from school used to do my hair.



  1. What do you think about women with natural hair? Do you care if your woman is relaxed, natural or loc’d?
I love natural hair and a woman that can maintain her hair in its natural state. My mother taught me growing up that if a woman can’t keep up her hair she probably doesn’t keep up her body and hygiene. So, a woman with well managed hair is a must for me. I don’t care if a woman doesn’t have natural hair or if she wears it relaxed with weave down to her ankles; as long as it looks well kept and if it is fake I want it to “fool me.” I do like loc’s on females but by no means is it a must for a girl to have loc’s if she’s natural.

  1. Do you think women who choose to loc their hair are sexy?
I think a woman’s choice to grow their locs is courageous and commendable; being how woman are portrayed to have long lustrous bone straight hair like a Barbie doll or how woman in entertainment world wear fake hair down their backs. I think that influence’s woman to do the same for the “in” look in today’s society. I think it’s a break from the norm and is beautiful in that aspect but I don’t think every woman that chooses to grow dreads is sexy for the mere fact they have them.

  1. What are the pros and cons about having your hair loc’d?
Pros would be not really worrying about how my hair is looking all the time. I pretty much go months looking rough before its time to maintain them again. A con would be that I get asked do I smoke everywhere I go and when I say I don’t people automatically say “but you have dreads”.

  1. What made you decide to loc your hair? Have you always had hair or did you start your loc’s from “scratch.”
One of my high school English teachers was real heavy in afro-centrism, black empowerment, self-love and historic black anthology. She also had locs and gave me a book to read on locs and their history. Through reading this book that I can’t seem to remember the specific name of right now taught me that locs in the biblical time were a sign of royalty and courage only worn by Kings and their warriors. I thought this was interesting and started my loc’ing journey. I have always had hair and didn’t exactly start from scratch but it wasn’t much length in the beginning.

  1. What makes a woman’s hair beautiful to you?
What makes a woman’s hair beautiful is how her hair falls, the fullness, her confidence and a sort of air a woman has after they get their hair done no matter how long, short, curly or straight their hair is. It is all beautiful to me, well-managed and beautiful.



  1. Do you have any advice for my readers who are considering loc’ing their hair?
Don’t be afraid of the ugly short stage. It builds character, lol. No one likes the beginning stages of locs. Mine were full of “side show bob” jokes,  lol.

  1. Where can we find you on the web?
Most likely on twitter; @boooogiebetch or my blog www.boooogie.blogspot.com I have a facebook and a vimeo page as well but you’ll find that somewhere on twitter or my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment