Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ask Alex Anything: What to do with my hair?

Hey There-


I heard about your blog through a friend and I love it! I thought you would be the right person to ask any questions about natural hair, since I'm having a hair crisis. I've been natural for a little more than a year now and I just love it, but I just don't know how to deal with it, I guess since I'm so used to dealing with permed hair. But even when my hair was permed I have been experiencing a lot of damage and breakage, now that I'm natural it seems to be worse. Constantly I've been wearing weaves (which I'm trying to get away from) so I don't have to deal with my hair. So my question to you is, what would you recommend to do or any treatments?

Thanks so much!

-Ackeela.M

Ackeela-
Congrats for being over a year natural! That is awesome and very exciting.
I can totally relate to your frustrations and "not knowing how to deal" with your hair, I think every natural has
experienced that feeling at least once on their journey.
My suggestions to you are the following:

1. Implement a good regimen that works for you and your hair.
Having a regimen is awesome because it puts your hair on a "schedule."
A good/regular regimen implemented in your journey will promote healthy growing hair.
2. If you don't know your hair type, find out. I think it is good to know what "type" of hair you have because
that way you know what products would be worth trying. (click here for a good resource)
3. Protective styling. The fact that you have been keeping your hair weaved isn't necessarily a bad thing. 
Wearing a hair weave is a good protective style to wear during cold months.
Just make sure you are giving your hair a break every once and a while and be sure to moisturize your scalp while your weave install is in.
You can also wear twist outs and braid outs, these styles stretch the hair and can give you a long lasting style for up to 4 days.
4. Condition, condition, condition you hair! That is VERY important.
If you decide to wear your hair out (not in a weave install) be sure that you dedicate at least one day a week
to deep conditioning.
5. Depending on your hair type you may need more moisture to prevent breakage.

I hope these little tips helped!
Also, ladies, if you have anything to add/suggest to Ackeela feel free to do so in the comment box!

xoxo,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment