Friday, November 19, 2010

A Man's P.O.V: Yalabe

Meet Yalabe, a beautiful black man who thinks highly of women with 
highly textured hair.
I am so happy to be receiving such positivity from the YOUNG black men in our community.
It warms my heart to read that some colored brotha's love us and our hair JUST THE WAY WE ARE.
Read his P.O.V on Natural Hair after the jump.

ENJOY!

Name: Yalabe
Age: 21
Area: MD



  1. How important is a woman’s hair to you? Especially if you are dating her, does she have to wear her hair a certain way to keep grab your interest?

A woman’s hair says a lot, it is like a personal statement to others about her. I couldn’t date a woman who did not take care of her hair and take pride in it. There isn’t a particular kind of hairstyle that grabs my attention because what works for one woman may not work for the other. I believe hair carries a certain confidence, and when that woman finds it, they will always look good.
                                                                                                                                
  1. Do you think that there is a ‘Natural Hair Movement’ or trend going on these days? Why do you think so many women are choosing to go natural now, do you think it’s a fad?

 There is definitely a Natural Hair Movement going on, a lot of women I know are starting to go natural or playing around with the idea. I’m not sure why women want to go natural, but in my opinion there is a certain beauty behind it, so why not rock your “own” hair.

3.      Would you support your partner or family members (i.e. mother, sister, daughter) if she decided to become natural?

My Mother has been natural since I was in middle school. She left the house one day and said she was going to go get her hair done. When she came back she had no hair and was rocking a low cut. It was weird at first, but I must say she was more beautiful in my eyes. I don’t even remember her long hair anymore.

  1. How important is hair texture to you? If your significant other were to go natural, would the texture of her hair affect your opinions on whether she should remain natural or not?

Hair texture is something I believe that women are BIG on; I can’t say I particularly pay attention to it because most girls I’ve dated have had soft hair. If my partner’s hair wasn’t soft, I do not believe it would affect my opinion about her going natural, although I must say soft hair is the way to go.



  1. What is your definition of “Good Hair” and how do you feel about the word “Nappy?”

Please, nobody come to crucify me!! When I was younger my definition of good hair was basically the girls with long hair and the ones that didn’t use weave. However, being asked that question now I believe good hair is natural hair, but it has to compliment that individual. There are so many ways for a woman to treat their hair in order for it make it fit them.  The word “Nappy” holds many negative connotations and I personally don’t feel like it should be used to describe a Black Woman’s hair.

  1. Would you rather your partner wear her hair natural or in a weave? Why or why not?
Sorry, no weave over here. I would love for my partner to rock her natural hair before ever putting in weave, but I here sometimes you have to do that to protect your natural hair during one of the four seasons. I just think Natural is beautiful; I don’t like the fake hair stuff.


  1. If you are involved with a woman do you think she should consult with you when it comes to making changes to her hair?

When involved with a woman she doesn’t need to consult me about her hair in the same sense I won’t consult her about changing a tie or a suit. When she decides she wants to make changes to her hair I will support her as long as it looks good.

  1. Why does it seem like some men are “hung up” on hair length? Does it matter to you?

Hair Length is one of those stereotypes that most guys have taken in. Like I stated earlier, when I was younger I thought longer hair made a woman prettier. Maybe it’s what society deems as “beautiful” and a lot of men happen to follow that stigma.


  1. Would you be supportive in your partner’s journey to go natural?

I don’t see why any man wouldn’t support their partner on their Natural journey if she wanted to go that route. She might look better than she did before, you never know with these things

  1. What makes black women and their hair unique and beautiful to you?

Black Women’s hair is unique to me because there are so many things that can be done with it. It can be twisted, dread-locked,low cut, curly/crinkly etc… When done right a black woman’s hair can look amazing, it can have that “DAM” factor, I can’t say that about other ethnic groups.

  1. Who is your favorite “curly girl?” (i.e. celebrity, actress, friend, ect.)

My favorite “Curly” girl? Hmm…that’s a tough one but I will have to go with my elementary school crush…ALEX…I love her natural hair and her different styles.




No comments:

Post a Comment