Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Man's P.O.V: Ryan


Ryan Allen
Age: 22
Area: The DMV (DC, MD, VA area)

Meet Ryan, one of my closest friends.
He has witnessed me go from relaxed to natural and he's watched Safi grow.
(He uses my Avocado Shea Butter too.)
Hearing his about his view on natural hair means a lot to me.
So I am super happy that he agreed to participate in this interview.

Read Ryan's P.O.V. on natural hair after the jump!




1.      How important is a woman’s hair to you? Especially if you are dating her, does she have to wear her hair a certain way to keep grab your interest? (i.e. which styles down vs. ponytail vs. bun, hair length?) A woman’s hair is very important to me. I believe you can tell a lot about a woman by how she wears her hair. Although the confidence behind the style grabs my attention more than the style itself.
2.      Do you think that there is a ‘Natural Hair Movement’ or trend going on these days? Why do you think so many women are choosing to go natural now, do you think it’s a fad? I don’t think I’d call it a movement, yet but I wouldn’t classify it as a trend either. More women are embracing their natural hair and I think it just comes from women educating themselves and getting to know their hair. No, I don’t think it’s a fad I actually think its something more and more women will embrace and it’ll become much more mainstream especially in the minority community.
3.      Would you support your partner or family members (i.e. mother, sister, daughter) if she decided to become natural? Absolutely, if that’s what they wanted to do. My views have even changed on natural hair, I’ve become much more accepting of it over the past year, in large because a good friend of mine wears her hair natural.
4.      How important is hair texture to you? If your significant other were to go natural, would the texture of her hair affect your opinions on whether she should remain natural or not? Unfortunately, kind of. I’ve only been exposed to a few females with natural hair (other than locs) and they’ve all had similar textures and I loved their hair. I’m sure there are chicks with less-soft hair but I think if it was well kept and maintained, I’d be ok with it, however, it may take getting used to. Just being honest…
5.      What is your definition of “Good Hair” and how do you feel about the word “Nappy?” “Good Hair” is well kept, maintained and taken care of…healthy hair. I think nappy has taken on a derogatory connotation, depending on who is using it. It’s seems to be one of those things that’s fine if “we” say it but would get offended if someone not like “us” said it.
6.      Would you rather your partner wear her hair natural or in a weave? Why or why not? It’s totally up to her whatever she prefers. Just as long as I cannot tell it’s a weave I’m good.
7.      If you are involved with a woman do you think she should consult with you when it comes to making changes to her hair? It’s not a must but if we are in a relationship I think those are the types of things you all just talk about. Not as in consulting for my approval but just to have my input would be nice. I would do the same to her because I would value her opinion.
8.      Why does it seem like some men are “hung up” on hair length? Does it matter to you? We(I) have been molded to view the standard of beauty as long hair. Everything we are shown as beautiful had long hair. So, once that’s basically engrained in you, its kind’ve hard to let go. I’ll admit I’m a fan of long hair but I can rock with the short as well. Whatever the style, wearing it with confidence is the key.

9.      Would you be supportive in your partner’s journey to go natural? Absolutely, I’m actually enjoying seeing more women embrace their natural hair. I love big curly bushes.
10.  What makes black women and their hair unique and beautiful to you? Black women and their hair are unique and beautiful to me simply because of their diversity. Black women are all so different to me, shapes, skin complexions, hair types/styles because of their diversity that makes them unique and beautiful.
11.  Who is your favorite “curly girl?” (i.e. celebrity, actress, friend, ect.) I really dig Tracy Ellis Ross and of course you, Alex :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment