Friday, July 29, 2011

A Story of Transition: Jasmine

Ladies, meet Jasmine! A natural hair transitioner with a pretty awesome story, I hope you all enjoy it!



Please introduce yourself!
My name is Jasmine, I'm 22, I'm originally from West Virginia, but now I'm living in Nashville, TN. I'm currently majoring in Criminal Justice, & I'm an aspiring makeup artist.

When did you decide you wanted to transition to natural?
Well, I started watching YouTube videos about the subject. Eventually I came across this blog, & just started reading. However, I still wasn't 100% sold on the idea yet. I ended up having to stay in the hospital in early February of 2010, my nurse had locs. So I just started asking questions, & she was just happy to tell me everything I wanted to know. It was then and there that I realized that I was gonna go natural.

Do you plan on being a long term transitioner or a short term?
LONG TERM! I have a TON of respect for women who do the big chop. I've worn short hair before, but I didn't want it to be THAT short. So, I knew that I wanted to retain length. I'm currently 15 months in; I plan on cutting the relaxed ends off once I reach 24 months.



How has it been managing 2 textures throughout this journey of transition?
Sometimes it's a HASSLE! There's been times when I've wanted to just give up. One day I actually stopped by Sally's and bought a relaxer! Luckily, I didn't go through with it, lol.

Are there any products that you have been using that you cannot live without?
Safi Avocado Shea Butter, Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Shampoo, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner, and good ol' fashioned Shea Butter.

Do you have your hair on a “regimen schedule?”
I co-wash & de-tangle with my Nourish Spa Conditioner twice a week (sometimes.) I wash with my Carol's Daughter shampoo twice a month. I DC using my Shea Moisture Masque adding in honey, jojoba oil, and vitamin e oil, under my dryer after every shampoo, I also try to henna once every 3 months.

What’s been your “go to” hairstyle since you’ve decided to go natural?
Twists, braids, and weaves! I don't like to manipulate my hair too much. When I give my hair a break from PT's, I moisturize and put it in a high bun, or in some two strand twists.

What excites you about seeing your natural, kinks, curls and coils?
Because they are MINE! I've had a perm from the age of 8, up until I was 21. I'm breaking free from the "Creamy Crack" and it feels so, so, good.

Where can we find you on the web?
You can find me on Twitter: @JayxChristine, I have a Tumblr: http://vivrant-thang.tumblr.com, and I also have a YouTube channel. I've been slacking on making videos, but you can check it out at:http://www.youtube.com/user/JayxSupreme.

Do you have any advice that you want to share with fellow transitioners? 
All I want say is, hang in there. I know sometimes it will be a challenge, and you'll want to give up, but don't! There are so many resources available to you online. Whether you need to vent your feelings/frustrations, or if you're even having doubts, utilize those resources and others will listen and give you feedback. The natural hair community is like a "sisterhood". You'll always have someone there for you.
Thank you for having me Alex, I really appreciate it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment