Friday, July 8, 2011

Captured Curls: Jenna

Everyone meet Jenna! I came across Jenna and her awesome hair via Twitter earlier this week. I had to have her and her gorgeous mane featured so I quickly shot her a DM to get the ball rolling! I liked reading her about her journey and I'm sure you will too! Click the jump for Jenna's lovely feature.





1.Please, introduce yourself!

Hi my name is Jenna. I am a 26 year old grad student pursuing my M.A.T.  in Special Education.

2.What is your current hair care regimen? 

I really try to keep it simple.

As far as products:
Shampoo: Dr Bronners Peppermint Castile Soap
Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Castile Soap
Conditioner: Yes To Carrots or Yes to Cucumbers
Deep Conditioner: ORS Replenishing Pack mixed with a little extra virgin olive oil
Gels: Aloe Vera Gel
Oils: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil (in the summer), and Jamaican Black Castor Oil (I mostly put this on my edges every few days)
Leave In/ Daily Moisturizer: Sheamoisture Leave in Conditioner
Daily Spritz: A mix of water and aloe vera gel or juice
Detangling Spritz: A mix of water and V0 5 conditioner

As for my regime:

I detangle /wash/condition/deep condition my hair every 2-3 weeks.
After I do that I  two strand twist my hair and do different two strand styles for about a week or so then once they start looking not so fab I take them out and rock different twist out styles until its time for wash day.


3.What is your hair type and what works best for your texture?

I really haven’t gotten into hair typing but I’d say a 4b (I think!) What works best for me is definitely making sure I keep my hair moisturized on a daily basis and also keeping in mind that everyone’s hair is different. What may work for some may not work for me and that okay. =)    

4.What reaction did you get when you first decided to go natural?

When I first decided to go natural in general my family and friends were supportive. Of course they asked me questions like “Why” and “What made me decide this” but once they saw that this was something I really wanted to do they gave me nothing but support. Fast forward to now and my family loves it and some of my friends have even decided to go natural themselves. =)




5. Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I did my BC in June of 2008 after transitioning for 6 months. I couldn’t do it any longer. I got so tired of the two textures I woke up one morning and was like “This has got to go!”


6. What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?

The versatility...I can blow it out and straighten, twist it up, braid it up, wear it out, big, and curly, or in a simple but always cute puff. There are just so many styling options out there to experiment with when it comes to natural hair and that is what’s so beautiful about it.

7.Where can we find you on the web?

Twitter: ReneeJ26

8.Anything EXTRA you want us to know?

 Be patient and enjoy the journey with both your hair and in life! =)







No comments:

Post a Comment