Sunday, July 10, 2011

On my transition to natural hair

There's nothing wrong with relaxed and permed hair although a clip from The Dr. Oz Show convinced me (as if I was in doubt) of the harm chemical treatments could cause. I was simply tired of the endless cycle of six- to eight-week appointments for the relaxer. The results have served me for a long time. It's been convenient, beautiful, and well taken care of. My hair has basically looked the same for a over 15 years with only brief moments where I tried short, color, natural, braids, and anything else you can think of except a jheri curl.

But recently, I did the big chop. I chopped off all my hair. I didn't really transition either; that is braid or weave for months on end while my hair grows out.  Going through the big chop, sitting in the chair, watching the chemically straightened hair fall to the ground all around me as my stylist moved the clippers up and down my head, was a bit of a shock I admit.  But when I stood up and walked out of the salon, I felt very light. Despite my nerves at first, a certain amount of weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It is not quite like I feel after completing a major assignment, it is a bit deeper than that. 
The day of the big chop.

As of late, I have still to perfect the art of doing my hair. Because I have had a relaxer for many years and am an expert on my hair in that chemically treated state, I am not conversant about everything that natural hair requires.  So I am going through a learning process. At times, it's painful, frustrating. An example, most oils that I really like and that are highly recommended make me itch like crazy. I cannot use Carol's Daughter Tui oil at all. I cannot use olive oil. I don't think this is psychological either. I know people swear by these two things. At other times, it is simply illuminating.  For example, I just learned I have a totally different texture on top and at the front of my head...it does not hold a curl or a twist, unlike the back and the sides.  Go figure!  But as my hair has grown out since I did the big chop a couple of months ago I have been trying new things. Recently, my friend Krystal twisted my hair all over into tiny little twists.  See picture below.  A year ago, this was simply beyond my imagination as a style for me. But I loved it.
Natural hair with tiny twists

Right now, I have braids to give myself a break, and take a couple of months to get educated about how to style, simple regimen, products to use etc.  Braids, as anyone who gets them will tell you is about convenience.  I don't love them.  I admit, despite my desire to go through this transition with my hair and get to know it at every stage, I am tired and want to not think about it for a while. So, this is what it will be until I feel like I can twist, untwist, rod, and do all the fancy stuff people do with confidence.
Adaeze with braids
I realized that much of the information out there including several of the natural hair bloggers is based on a hair texture that is quite different from mine. The predominant hair texture that I see both in ads and on blogs are a finer texture with looser curls.  I have talked about this dearth of examples and demos from natural hair bloggers who have traditional nappy hair. This is my hair type. (I ignore the 4a, b, c hair type obsession people are consumed with.)

My friend Krystal has suggested I start one or at least document my process on this blog. There are many reasons I am not the best choice for this role.  The major reason is that I am not adventurous about hair or products and will always take the easiest path both for my hair and my nerves.  But I will try.  Maybe very soon, there will be no need to blog about this. Natural hair will simply be the norm, everyone will know what to do and accept our hair textures as they come; salons will sprout up with cosmetologists who know our hair and can professionally take care of it; and novices with nappy hair struggling to figure out what to do with it without straightening it will be a thing of the past.

Until then, I will fill you in on my newest discoveries.  I LOVE Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo and Conditioner. I have always splurged on expensive salon level brands for moisture and conditioning, and I have to say these are as good or better than anything out there for a whole lot less.

For the women going through this process, many of you are far more advanced than I am. Keep me posted on your progress.

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment