Friday, July 29, 2011

Captured Curls: Jillz

So, I have been trying to get this cool chick on my blog for a while and she is FINALLY featured! Jillz is a very talented young lady with awesome curls and style. I hope you all enjoy her story as much as I did, enjoy! 



Please, introduce yourself!
I'm Jillz but mostly known as Elle Maxwell (the lyricist). I'm a student, optimist, and most importantly an artist. Currently residing in Southeast, Washington, DC I'm trying to figure out where I fit into the script for this play called "Life".

What is your current hair care regimen?
My current hair regimen differs depending on which way I'm wearing my hair. Now that my hair is at a nice length since I went natural (again), I wear it straight majority of the time. When I do wear it this way I usually just wash with Creme of Nature Sunflower and Coconut Detangling Conditioning Shampoo, condition with Cantu Shea Butter Rinse Out Conditioner, then put Carol's Daughter Hair Balm on my hair (just a little) before I blow dry it and flat iron it. I don't like applying too much heat to my hair than needed so to keep up my style I either pin curl it or just wear a satin bonnet at night. My hair is also naturally thin so I tend to lean more towards the satin bonnet. It gives my hair a bump on the morning.

When my hair is in its natural state I wash with the Cream of Nature shampoo, condition with Cantu, then put on Creme of Nature Lemongrass & Rosemary Leave-in Creme Conditioner. To keep my curls I just add a layer of Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk.



What is your hair type and what works best for your texture?
I think some parts of my hair may be curlier than others but for the most part my hair type is 3c/4a. I find that the above products that I mentioned work best for my hair. Sometimes I may add a little Eco Styler Gel to the mix for my more natural/curly look or Curl Soufflé Medium Curl Cream. Although the Curl Soufflé smells sooo good (think cake batter), both products have the potential of drying out my hair so I use them sparingly. I also have a little spray bottle of water and olive oil to give my hair some moisture when needed.

What reaction did you get when you first decided to go natural?
My boyfriend hated it, lol! I didn't care though because I loved it and my friends and family did as well. I just felt like my life became that much easier. Plus, I've always wanted to experiment with color so that made it a little easier to do.

Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I BC'd gradually, if that makes any sense. I'm always interested in new hairstyles, especially cuts, and my philosophy is "it's just hair, it'll grow back". So, I initially cut around the sides and back of my head and just had long hair on top. I hadn't gotten a perm for a while now so I had a pretty good length for a cute TWA. About a couple of weeks after I cut the sides and back of my hair off, I went and did the top. All of this happened between October and November of 2010.

What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
I LOVE my kinks, curls, and coils because not only do they make me stand out in a club full of hair extensions and weave glue, but they actually make me feel better in my skin. Plus, they help me exercise my individuality and artsiness. Each curl accentuates the next just as each underlying skin tone compliments the other.

Where can we find you on the web?
I'm on Facebook under Elle Maxwell, my website is www.ElleMaxwell.com, my youtube channel is Jillz07, and you can follow me on Twitter @_ElleMaxwell.

Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
My first EP "RUSH" will be dropping VERY soon please check the website and Twitter feed for updates regarding that!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment