Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Protective Style Challenge




As many of you know, I've been wearing protective styles for months now. Since about December I have tried to wear my hair (95% of the time) in low maintenance styles that include wearing my ends protected, tucked, ect. By December this year I hope to be at or close to arm pit length when my hair is stretched. I definitely think that it's possible to attain and retain that goal and hair length.

I am inviting you ladies to join me in a 3 month PS challenge! (I will keep up the PS challenge after the 3 months is over-- you are welcomed to as well). 
This challenge will be simple, fun and a way for us to come together and "fellowship" in a positive way while uplifting one another on our growth journeys. Whether you are growing out a TWA, a bad hair cut, dye job or just want to set a hair goal for yourself and reach it-- you are all welcomed! If this is something you'd be interested in click the jump for details.




(image from google search)



(My) 3 month Goal: 2.5 inches of growth.  Your goal does not have to be the same as mine--make your own if you'd like.

Side note: Hair usually grows about a 1/2 inch a month. The goal is to retain that growth and see a change in length your length.

How to meet that goal: 

  • NO HEAT
  •  NO cutting (unless you have to eliminate single strand knots)
  • NO dry brushing/combing
  • Handle your hair with care
  • Wash when NECESSARY (I will be washing my hair in between protective styles, about once ever 2.5 weeks)
  • Deep conditioning 2x a month
  • Sealing moisture into the hair to eliminate breakage and dryness
  • Keeping ends tucked and in styles that are low maintenance
  • Taking vitamins and drinking ample amounts of water
Style Options:

  • Buns
  • Twists
  • Braided updos
  • Full weave installs (where hair is SEWN NOT GLUED)
If you have any other style option ideas please leave them in the comment box below. 

Recording your growth:

The options for recording your growth are as follows-
  • Via email- I was thinking we could all check-in once a month with pictures of our growth, styles, tips and questions over email. 
  • Blogs- if you are a blogger you can easily post your growth directly on your blog and link send me the to share with everyone who is participating.
  • YouTube- making growth videos is always a good way to share what's going on in your journey
  • Twitter- #naturalhair chat is another easy way to share what is going with you and your curls
Let me know which idea you like most in the comment box and we can go from there! The PS challenge will start on August 1st, 2011 and end on November 1st, 2011.  I would like the people who want to participate to leave their emails below so I can get in touch with everyone by the 31st of July. Pleas record your start length if you can. I have in a PS right now so I won't be able to until I take it down in a couple of weeks.  I am very excited to start this journey with you all, this is going to be fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment