Friday, December 17, 2010

Captured Curls: Ariel

Meet Ariel a new natural sharing her story and journey.

Enjoy!

Tell me about YOU
I'm a Texas girl who's lived here all 21 years of my life. Grew up in a small town, now living in the city. 3rd year college student pursuing 2 degrees: BBA in Marketing and BA in African & African Diaspora Studies. Love God, my family, and my friends; all three keep me sane and keep me going.
Tell me your hair regimen:
My hair is usually up in some protective style. I wear weaves in the cooler months (I like to call it head insulation. lol) and then braids, coils, or two-strand twists throughout the rest of the year with my hair out every once in a while in between. I'm still experimenting with products and styles. My mom did my hair until I moved away for college and still does it when I go home, so I'm a rookie at doing my own hair for the most part. Right now, I use Creme of Nature shampoo and conditioner as well as Shea butter mixed with EVOO.
 
Tell me your texture and what works best for your hair type
I am a 4b/c and what I've learned that works best for my hair type is patience. Detangling isn't my favorite thing to do and it takes me a while to detangle my hair because it's thick. I've also learned that I learn lots of moisturization. The more, the better.
 
Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural
My mom and grandmother definitely did not approve of my decision, and to this day, they still hope it's a phase. However, my dad's side of the family was very accepting of it because on that side, we have more hair diversity: relaxed, natural, pressed, and locks.
 
Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I've had 2 transition periods and 2 big chops. When I first started college in Fall 2008, I transitioned from August to December with braids, but was discouraged by my mom and got my last relaxer in December 2008. Then, I started transitioning again and did my own BC on July 10, 2009. Right after that, I got a weave and some braids, but when I took my braids out, my TWA was very uneven and noticable, so I got another chop on September 9, 2009.
 
What makes you love your kinks, curls, and coils?
I love my kinks, curls, and coils because they make me unique. I've learned to love myself just the way God made since I went natural. Also, I love the variety of things I can do with my hair that I was never able to do when I had relaxed hair.
 
Where can we find you on the web?
Twitter: arielevette
Youtube: arielcaramel

Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
Next semester, I will be interning with NaturallyCurly.com and I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment