Saturday, March 26, 2011

Parenting 101: To Spank or Not to Spank...


So this blog is in no way going to become solely a blog about babies or parenting. However, I am a new mom and I know many of you out there are mommies and daddies too! There are so many issues that arise when thinking about raising children and I would love to share them with you to get your input. From time to time I will be submitting topics for you all to weigh in on regarding parenting.

So, for this first Parenting 101 as this series will be called, I want to know how you all feel about spanking. I was spanked as a child by my dad but not by my mom. I think they disagreed on the act and once they divorced, I was never really spanked again. My only memory of being spanked was waaaaaaay back in the day when I was three years old. We were in Target (the old Target before they became cool and hip again, lol) and I was begging my mom to "up me" or pick me up. My dad was not happy with my behavior because apparently I kept begging and begging, going from whining to an all-out temper tantrum. Well, what is the big deal, you may ask. For starters, my mom was about 8 months pregnant with my little brother so "upping me" was not an option. In addition, I guess I was told to stop and I didn't. So my dad spanked me. Right there in Target. With a belt from the belt section! :-(

Of course then there were the times I spent with my paternal grandmother who believed in sending children to get their own switches to "tear up those legs"! She never hurt us, but liked to be able to remind us from time to time about not getting out of line.

On the one hand, I was more careful around those people who I knew would take to my behind if I started feeling myself too hard and I watched my behavior. I knew the limits and I was diligent about not crossing them. However, I might have responded just as well to really structured time out or other non-corporal punishments.

So, my question to you all is, what do you think about spanking? Are you a "spare the rod, spoil the child" kind of person or do you disagree with the practice? What were your experiences with it and do you think it helped you as a child? Is this an appropriate way to manage behavior in children? Weigh in!


***Oh, and as a friendly reminder, topics like this can get heated and we won't all agree so please stay respectful or both this forum and each other. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment