Monday, March 7, 2011

Guest Blogger Topic: Natural Hair and Dating

Natural Hair and Dating
By TwistedMarie
My natural hair story started about three years ago when I had suffered a bad salon experience and wanted to see how long I could go without a relaxer. While transitioning I met a guy and, we had been dating for about a year and a half when I mentioned to him casually in conversation one day that I was fed up with these two textures and planned to cut my hair the following weekend. He looked me square in the eye and said “I think your hair is fine the way it is, and I don’t know how I would like it if it wasn’t straight!” Instantly I felt taken back and laughed said “ok umm sure and brushed off the comment.” That following weekend without any hesitation I BC’ed and everybody around me loved it, he had been out of town that weekend so when we met to go to the movies I thought nothing of it. His face was in shock when he noticed that I had cut my hair and the first thing out of his mouth was “why did you do that to your hair? I knew I wouldn’t like it like that.” I had enjoyed the compliments I had gotten on my hair and the ease of styling since my BC so with the biggest smile on my face I said “the hair is gone, I love my curls. Why are you letting hair define us?” Right in front of the theater I decided to choose my natural hair over him!
This was a starting point for me in my natural journey, I had always thought that the way I wore my hair was simply my choice. Natural hair is a lifestyle for me and I feel like dating should not affect how I rock my curls, my choice of hair style should not cause conflict but if it does my hair wins! Fast forward two years later I am still enjoying my curls, this bad experience has only made me love my curls more. Have any of you ladies experienced a similar situation? How did you choose to handle it?   

No comments:

Post a Comment