Friday, March 18, 2011

Captured Curls: Sam

Everyone meet Sam, the designer behind my blog! She is a fairly new natural rockin and very cute TWA.
Read her story below...



Tell me about YOU
I’m a full-time student, freelance web designer, and blogger living in Maryland.


Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)
I don’t really do much of anything. Usually, if I go to the gym in the morning, I’ll cowash with Trader Joes Tea Tree conditioner when I get home. I don’t really shampoo often, I can’t remember the last time I shampooed but I know that Dr. Bronner’s Magic Peppermint or Lavender soap are the only ones I use. I co-wash pretty often and I just really grab whatever conditioner I see first. I usually spritz my hair with either lavender water or rose water on days where I don’t co-wash or when my hair feels a little dry. I’m really sensitive to scents so I try to use things with either really mild scents or unscented in general so I really like Whole Foods Brand (I think its whole foods brand) unscented conditioner. I also apply Megatek to my scalp every night and give it a nice massage. I try to do an Aztec Healing Clay mask either every week or every other week and I just add some Vitamin E oil and Lavender. (Clearly I’m a big fan of the Lavender scent) As for styling, I don’t really do any. I haven’t used heat since the beginning of January and don’t really plan to anytime soon, the most I do now is put some Giovanni Direct Leave-In after I towel dry my hair a little and then I use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and a little bit of Garnier Fructis Curl Sculpting Cream-Gel stuff because it doesn’t leave my twa crunchy or anything like other gels have. Generally, though, I just wear my hair like a wild woman.

Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type
I have absolutely no idea what my texture is. My head has a bunch of different textures, there’s straight pieces and there’s some really tight corkscrew looking ringlets. I don’t even know how long my hair is because it shrinks so much. I typically just leave my hair alone and let it do whatever it wants, there’s not much of it on my head anyway. I guess I’ll figure out what works best for it as I go along although, it does really seem to like water, I keep a spritz bottle of lavender or rose water in my car just to spray my hair whenever I feel like it needs it.


 Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural
Well I wasn’t going to do it, my best friend kind of persuaded me to do chop my hair off. All the women I know absolutely loved my short hair (aside from my mom), but my dad still maintains that I look like a boy.My mom doesn’t really like it either and insists I get a weave until my hair grows back but I don’t plan to do that. All the reactions from my friends and coworkers were really positive and everyone just really likes to touch my hair, which definitely gets kind of annoying.


 Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I tried to transition, I’m not sure for how long, but I was really annoyed by all of the different textures and damaged bits as well as how terrible (in my opinion) my hair looked so I BC’d in October 2010 for my 22nd birthday.


 What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
I absolutely LOVE the versatility. I mean, at this length I don’t have too many styling options but I like how I don’t have to worry about getting caught in the rain or going swimming, I can sleep over my friends houses without having to spend forever preparing my hair for sleep. I can wear it straight anytime I want then I can easily just wear it curly, very little maintenance and its definitely a lot healthier now than it was before.


 Where can we find you on the web?
My blog: http://samantha-marie.org or twitter http://twitter.com/samanthamarie or my food blog: http://samvsfood.com

Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
hmmm.. not really.






No comments:

Post a Comment