Friday, March 4, 2011

Captured Curls: Nokomis


Below is one of my favorite natural hair ladies. Her name is Nokomis and her hair is to die for. I literally melt every time I see it. I have been trying to get this gorgeous girl on my blog for sometime now and today we finally made it happen. Her hair story is an inspiration and I am sure you ladies will enjoy reading about the history of her curls and how they are taken care of.  Enjoy!


Tell me about YOU
I was born in Southern California and Im a Marine Corps baby, so I moved around a lot.
I spent most of my growing years in the DMV area. So I like to think of my self as being pretty diverse.
I love the sun, I love to snowboard I hold down a full time job, own my own company and I am a student, a photographer slash self taught make-up artist. 
I have been natural since April 2008

  hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)

My hair care regimen is pretty simple, I have always been a believer in K.I.S.S (keep is simple stupid)
 I shampoo my hair as need 1-2x a month with Kinky curly come Clean and 1x every three months with a clarifying shampoo.
 I detangling the shower with Kinky curly knot today and I deep condition with every shampoo with 
either a mixture of conditioners, oils, and honey, or lustra silk cholesterol deep conditioner

In between my full out wash days, I co-wash 2-3x a week. As far as heat, I do use heat I am not afraid of it and I have never experienced heat damage.
I can get my hair (roots and all) pretty straight with a great roller set 
If I flat iron my hair its only the roots on a setting of 210 and no more than two passes and my hair will last up to 2 wks if I maintain it with my silk scarf n pillow case.
Every two months, I do a hard protein treatment  on my hair using apohgee 2 step protein or when my hair began's to feel mushy and my curls don't lay right. In between 
those treatments I use joico k pak  to keep my protein balance in line with my regular deep conditions. I've learned to listen to my hair over the years



Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type

I honestly dont know my texture, or type its a little of everything, wavy in the front loose curls on the sides and tightly coiled in the back beyond that I just know what my hair likes and doesn't like!
I've found that the products, that work best for me are coconut oil, aloe vera gel, kinky curly curling custard and pomade the Yes to cucumber, carrots, line and the shea moisture deep conditioner. I also love
ic fantasia gel, and FHI hot sauce!

Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural
My first reaction I got was from my parents it was a mixture of sadness, happiness and relief. Prior to my transitioning and big chop I had been very ill and was losing my hair.
So around the time i bc'd I was getting better, my hair wasn't falling out n clumps anymore and it was growing. But I got a lot of why's and u look pretty and "I could never's" it was also around the time of my family reunion so all of the older
folks thought i was losing my mind lol



 Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
 I did a short transition, about 7-8 months  into it i did my BC! and Im glad I didnt wait longer

 What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
I love my kinks, curls and coils because they are me! They make me stand out as myself! I love the versatility! I love how one day I am curly the next Im bone straight and jaws drop and 
I love that I don't have to fear the rain! I can think Im having a bad hair day but a twist here spritz of water there a flower vavoom I'm set! I love my hair!

 Where can we find you on the web?


Anything EXTRA you want us to know?

hmmm well the most extra thing I want you all to know about me is that I LOVE ALEXANDRA! lol
but no, I really am glad to see women come together embrace and uplift each other through each journey! It truly is a self revealing journey
and all the support we give each other within out community be it natural hair, bi racial, african american, caucasian embracing learning and loving ourselves is something
we should all experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment