Friday, May 27, 2011

Captured Curls: Yhanni and Jeffrina


I am very excited to share this weeks Captured Curls with you all! Today you will be reading about how two sisters care for their natural hair, loc'd and loose. The photo below may be familiar to you all if you have Tumblr. The picture happened to land on my dashboard a few weeks ago and I immediately fell IN LOVE with it. One of the sisters (Yhanni, with the locs) ironically started following me on Twitter. I had NO CLUE that she was one of the women in the picture. She tweeted me the picture a few days ago and I almost died, LOL. I had to have them on the blog and I just knew you all would love this post. Read their stories below!




Tell me about YOU
Yhanni: I'm a singer, dancer, actress (but who in LA isn't). Brooklyn, King's County, NY born, Herndon, VA raised, LA, CA living. 
Jeffrina: I'm a singer/songwriter, actress, dancer, and mother. Born in New Jersey, raised between NJ, PA, and CA. I now live in Los Angeles and love love love it!

Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)
Y: I wash my hair once a week or once every two weeks. I have a lot of hair and it gets dry quickly so I wash it whenever my scalp starts crying.  
Jeffrina: I wash my hair every 2-3 days to keep the curls soft and fresh, otherwise they get frizzy and matted. I towel dry it then massage it with hair products while finger twisting my curls.

Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type
Y: I twist my locs with this tea tree oil product that has a gel-like texture. I moisturize it with Carol's Daughter tiu hair oil, Jamaican Mango and Lime Spray oil and 'Nature's Blessings hair pomade'.
Jeffrina: My hair texture is thick and bushy with tight curls. Mango and Shea butter cream along with Coconut oil are great for moisture and shine. Once it's moisturized, I finger twist the curls with black gel to keep them tight and avoid frizziness.

 Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural
Y: I've been natural my whole life. 
Jeffrina: Everyone loved it and I felt so free not having to worry about how my hair looked all the time.

Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
Y: N/A
Jeffrina: I transitioned first I cut my hair really short but I still had a relaxer and my hair was straight. Then one day I got sick of the maintenance and just chopped it all the way down til the relaxer was gone and I haven't turned back since. That was about a year and a half ago.

What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
Y: Unlike the India Arie song (Love you girl!) I am my hair. My locs are a big part of me, they have to be since it's the only hair style I've known.
Jeffrina: I have had every hairstyle in the book, and never have I felt so free or so confident til' I went natural. I can get up slap some moisture on my hair and keep it moving while still feeling good about myself.

 Where can we find you on the web?

Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
Y: My birthday is on Tuesday.. hheeeyyy!
Jeffrina: I truly think its amazing you are doing this. It is so important for women of color to love ourselves the way we were born. Not that I have anything against weaves, perms or anything else but I didn't even know the natural texture of my hair until a year and a half ago. Maybe if i would have known I would have loved it way before!

No comments:

Post a Comment