Monday, September 13, 2010

Captured Curls: Pilar Harris

Happy Monday everyone!
I hope everyone had a fun filled weekend.
I am starting this week's blog session with a Captured Curls feature.
A young lady named Pilar Harris emailed me over the weekend about being featured.
After I read her story I was very excited to get her on the blog 
so that everyone could read about her being a new natural sista'.
See her feature below, I am sure you will enjoy it.


1. Tell me about YOU:
I'm Pilar and I'm a 21 year old Pisces and a CA native. It seems writing is my passion and I've lent my talents to television networks and studios including MTV. Whether I'm writing, illustrating, cooking, or picking out clothes in the morning, I'm drawn to all things cozy, dazzling, classic, and feminine. I've traveled from Los Angeles to Amsterdam and dozens of places in between and I love sharing my experiences. I'm currently blogging from the eastern side of Germany, where I live with my loving BF and our pet cactus, Kiesha.

2. Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, etc...)
My hair care regimen right now consists of cowashes and finger coils. I'm still in the TWA phase, so there's not much I can do besides maintain moisture. And what a struggle that is! I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner, NO heat at all, and I seal with EVOO. Simplicity has been key for me thus far.

3. Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type.
I am 4a to the core. My fine hair loves WATER and minimal styling so that's what I stick to. In the past, heat (in the form of flat irons and blow dryers) really sucked the life out of my hair so I avoid it at all costs. This means no blowouts or hooded dryers and I even wash my hair in lukewarm-cold water. 



4. Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural.
Roughly 2 years ago, I ditched the 12-inch sew in weaves for my APL natural kinks. The people around me were super supportive and I found that once I embraced my natural hair, I started to embrace other things about myself that I had tried hiding since... forever. As a working print model, I was sent on more castings because my hair brought on more versatility. And with all this, my self-confidence went through the roof. I took on projects and went places that I couldn't have gone before, all because of my inner 'upgrade'. 

5. Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
After playing in my hair for 2 years and hopping on nearly EVERY hair care bandwagon, I realized that I had done a lot of damage. In fact, I never made it past APL! Things got really frustrating as I continued to try conditioners, shampoos, dc's, clay masks, oils, butters, and creams with no progress or improvement. This summer left my hair dry and brittle and so I decided to do the BC in mid August. I chose health over length and I haven't looked back since. 

6. What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
My coily, fluffy hair has been the perfect, no-fail accessory to my life. I'm crazy about it.

7. Where can we find you on the web?
I'm blogging at just-add-honey.blogspot.com and tweeting at twitter.com/lovepilarlove

8. Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
I'm looking for a TWA grow-out buddy. Who's down?! 



No comments:

Post a Comment