Monday, September 6, 2010

Ask Alex: To Straighten or Not to Straighten

This question is from Rachel and I am very glad that she sent in this question.
I actually have received similar questions that relate to this topic. 
I used to get my hair pressed a lot during my transitioning period, I will explain what I did
before heading into the salon to get a blow out and press.

Hey Alex!-
Just wanted to let you know that I religiously follow you on your blog and twitter!! I saw in your fotki that you had pictures of your hair pressed. I want to get it trimmed (I do every three months) and wanted to wear my hair straightened for a week maybe after the trim. I'm a little scared to do so though because I know the dangers of irreversible heat damage. SO... I just wanted your opinion on what to do to my hair before getting it flatironed and trimmed at a salon!! I know the stylist, she has straightened my hair before and actually is the one that did my BC! She's a pressed natural as well, so she def knows what she's doing. I'm just super-conscious about heat damage since this is the only time in three months I'm putting heat on my curls... Please tell me if I should do option A or option B or option C and why please, thanks! 

*Also, she is good at using either "natural" products or products for curly hair such as Namaste and Mixed Chicks 

A. go to salon with hair "dirty" with prepoo of a mixture of oils and let her shampoo, blowdry, flatiron and style my hair.

B. go to salon with hair washed and DC'd and dry in braids and let her blowdry, flatiron, and style my hair

C. your suggestion 

Thanks so much!!
Rachel

P.S. I ALSO have a girl-crush on you :) much love
***********

Rachel,
Thank you for writing me, this is a very popular question amongst my readers! I'd be happy to share with you what I did before getting my hair pressed. My steps were very simple. I would wash and condition my hair the night before heading into the salon. I would also leave a overnight DC in my hair and have my stylist rinse it out once it was time for my appointment. Since I know my stylist personally, she understands how picky I am on what goes on my hair. I bring my own heat protectent and my Avocado Shea Butter, both help seal my ends and protect my hair during the blow out and press. If your stylist doesn't mind you bringing in your own products, go for it! Especially if you know your hair likes what you normally use at home. Whatever you do make sure she uses a heat protectent. That is KEY to preventing heat damage. 

I hope this answer helped you!

Let me know how your visit goes.

xoxo,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment