Thursday, May 28, 2009

Summer Skin Scrub


It's almost here ladies and gents! The long days of warm summer sun and cool frosty drinks...ahhh I get excited just thinking about it! I am especially looking forward to hitting the beach this summer, a well deserved treat after 14 months dedicated to school. Mmm hmmm.

So to get ready, I thought I would try my hand at a homemade sugar scrub. Lately, my skin has been feeling great since I totally ditched lotion for 100% pure Grapeseed Oil. I LOVE it! But we could all use an exfoliant to shed that layer of "winter skin" before we don our shorts, bathing suits, and tanks.

Here's one recipe I found that I think I will try first:
  • 50 percent white cane sugar (note that organic sucanat, while the best choice for food, doesn’t work as well for this recipe)
  • 50 percent vegetable glycerin to moisten the sugar (or some kind of oil since which can be a successful substitute)
  • Small amounts of aloe vera gel, vitamin C crystals, or anything healing that dissolves in water
  • 1 or 2 drops of essential oil if desired (Larry recommends combining orange and lavender)
Combine the ingredients in a bowl. Scoop some of the scrub onto your hand and massage gently onto your skin for a minute (the scrub will actually tighten onto your skin like a masque). Leave on for 3 to 4 minutes before rinsing.

I have all the ingredients above from the hair mix I made a few weeks back....so I won't feel any PJ guilt, lol. But, I think I might use EVOO instead of GSO becasue the GSO is much more expensive. I will never buys this from anyone ever again now that I can make my own!

Check out these other links for more sugar scrub recipes:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Simple-Sugar-Scrub-92027
http://www.cancerlynx.com/bodyscrub.html
http://tipnut.com/homemade-sugar-scrub-recipes/

And for those of you who are visual learners (like me!):


Do you have any special summer treats you concoct yourself? If so...do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment