Wednesday, May 6, 2009

40+ Naturals: The Debut!


Hello everyone! This is my first 40+ Naturals post...and it is none other than my one and only fantastically wonderful mother! She graciously agreed to be my first 40+ Naturals interviewee and I am so excited she decided to shed some insight into her latest natural journey. Again, the reason I wanted to start this series is because shortly after I became natural, I noticed much of the negativity came from older Black women. I was shocked! So when I see beautiful naturals who are a little older than me, I am fascinated to learn about their journey.

Here's what she had to say:

1. When did you decide to go natural and what went into that decision?

I went natural December 2006. I had grown tired of how the perm had changed the texture of my hair. Getting my hair done came to control my week. It was so draining. And, my daughter(Naturally Leslie) had been urging me forever and that too helped me to crossover. Actually since I'm a child of the 70s I was natural then so this is not a totally new experience. Its just interesting that we work it differently now. Not so much the big 'fro but more about styling it.

2. Did you transition over time or do a big chop?

I did a big chop.

3. What are some of your favorite products and styles?

I really like Ms. Jessie's Baby Buttercreme and Curly Pudding.

4. Describe your expectations and feelings before you made the leap to natural. How did you feel post-transition?

I was thinking it would be totally easy and care free but it wasn't. I had to adjust and get used to working with my hair and understanding what I liked and how to achieve it. I also had to accept the different stages during the change over. Some I didn't like. But now I am so happy with my hair. I feel so free.

5. What have been the reactions of family, friends, etc to the newly natural you?

I get lots of compliments. My mother is not a natural lover. She's a generation before black is beautiful. She never accepted her blackness as goodness. But other than that, most of my friends and colleagues love my hair. A couple are uncomfortable with it----Mostly those who wear straight weave and think nappy hair and black features make them ugly. I love them anyway. And the other part is black men. Some of them really dig it.......some just look at you like they don't get it. I find that so sad.

6. Describe what it was like to return to work after going natural.
Everyone wanted to know what I did to my hair. I'm surprised that white people still don't know that natural is how our hair is.

7. Overall, what has been your greatest discovery about being natural?

That it too takes a lot of time, work, energy and money to maintain.


8. What advice would you give to another 40+ woman who is considering going natural?

Set yourself free---embrace your natural beauty. It will change you whole swagger----in a good way.

LOL - She said swagger! Tee hee. Anyways.....this is a style I did on my mom a few days ago. It's just flat twists all around into a ponytail that I set on rollers. She loves styles that I can do on Sunday that last her the week.



Thanks Mom! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment