Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My New SUPER Moisturizer!

UPDATE: Here are some pics I JUST took of my hair with the SUPER moisturizer. I did not use this on wet hair, I made the mix after I had already done a twist out. So I'll try that next week. Again, I have not used any in two days and my hair feels super soft, moist, pliant, and shiny! All I did was untwist the sections and separate a little.

I think I gained about an inch and a quarter overall with the Afro twists. So I guess that's about average for two months.

I took my Afro twists out about a week ago (I was afraid my hair was starting to get tangled in the Nafy hair and I was right!) and have since gone back to twist outs. Every night I re-twist in big sections to moisturize and re-set the sections. I do this because my hair swells in this humid NC weather, whether I seal or not! Also, when I go to the gym I have to re-twist to prevent a complete frizzy puffy fro (unless that's the look I'm going for).

So....I usually use a light styling cream to re-twist with before bed. I decided, however, that I want to use something more natural since most creams you can buy in the stores have so many chemicals and perfumes.

MzTeaCake created this video about a wonderful moisturizer she mixed up at home using aloe vera, shea butter, a Nubian Heritage lotion, rose water, glycerine, and honey. It looked easy enough and I already had some NH and a large container of shea so I headed to my local Whole Foods and purchased the rest of the products. I also bought some coconut oil and grapeseed oil for other things (which I'll post about later).




I made a batch myself and this is what I used:
1/2 c Shea Butter
1/2 c NH Lotion
1/2 c Aloe Vera Gel
2 oz Rosewater
2 oz Vegetable Glycerin
1 Tbs Coconut oil

Then I mixed with a hand mixer after I added each ingredient and the end product was a light yellow cake batter consistency cream. It smells pretty good, mostly like the NH lotion. I will store it in the fridge and use it nightly or as needed to re-moisturize and refresh twists.

It's very moisturizing and surprisingly, I have not had to reapply since the first day I used it (about 2 days ago). My hair is shiny and really really soft. In another video she talked about using it as a deep conditioner as well so I might try that next week with heat.

Watch here how she combines all the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment