Monday, May 25, 2009

Are you a PJ?? A Response to BGLH

I admit I had never heard the term product junkie until I started reading natural hair blogs last year. Of course it refers to someone who is constantly buying new products with the zeal of a "junkie", even if they already have similar items at home. It is an interesting term and so true for a lot of people, myself included at times. Black Girl with Long Hair did a great post about hair regimens getting out of control within the natural hair world and I just had to comment. It got me thinking about my own product-buying habits as of late and how I have felt influenced by the different blogs and You Tube videos online. I began to feel out of the loop on certain things when really what I have been doing and using works just fine for me.

I have been natural for a while now so I thought I was beyond that phase. But every now and then I relapse when people start posting about the amazing results they have with "such and such" product or this-n-that routine. And going to the natural hair show in Atlanta was another time I felt compelled to try new stuff. It's not all bad, sometimes you do come across a great product that really works well and fits nicely into your routine. But other times, you look up and realize you have 11 bottles of this or 5 jars of that and it is all sitting under your sink, collecting dust.

So I made myself follow one simple rule when it comes to product buying:

If I have one already, I can't buy a new one until it's gone.

This applies to anything - shampoo, conditioner, gels, combs, rollers, whatever. I have not always followed this rule but it helps when I stroll past a beauty supply store or the hair care aisle in Walmart. Here's another one that's good:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That means, if I like the conditioner I am using, I won't stop or throw it away just because someone else says it's bad. Or just because a certain technique works for someone else does not mean it will work for me.

Here are some more tips I found in this article. They refer to beauty products but work for hair stuff as well:

Only shop when needed. This may seem like a simple point, but think about the number of times you've gone into a store like Bath and Body Works just to "browse." You're bound to come out with a couple of lotions or sprays. Especially during sales. If you must go to the mall walk by those stores that tempt you. Avoid the beauty aisle in grocery stores. Don't even use it as a shortcut to another section of the store. You may be lured in by that new diet pill you saw on television. Bath and Body Works gets me all the time!

Don't read about new products. If you're facial cleanser is working beautifully for you, don't search for a new one. If the latest cleanser is any good, it'll still be available when you've finished the one you have. If you're bombarded with advertisements, blogs and forums raving about a project, tuck the review in the back of your mind and proceed to point below. I'm guilty of this guys...

Swap beauty products with your friends. It's like getting something new, but it won't cost you a thing. Swapping products also allows you to try out new things. This works best with other product junkies also looking for their next fix. This is fun AND free! I give my best girl friend lip gloss or eye shadows all the time and she loves it!

Sometimes trying new things is fun, especially when you are new to the natural thing. There is nothing wrong with trying a new look when you feel the time is right. But when it becomes a money issue or a competition-like "I'm trying to keep up with the other naturals" issue, it is a bigger problem. Considering I am still in "broke grad student" status, I'm going to do my best to take my own advice! So thank you BGLH for this nudge, I am back on my mission to spend wisely and focus on what works for me. Each head is so different so stick with that works for you. Good luck to you all and go check out the BGLH post if you have not already!

No comments:

Post a Comment