Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why Black Girls Still Prefer White Dolls


Ya'll, this hurts my heart. You probably remember the story about 17 year old Kiri Davis who redid the doll (black doll vs. white doll) test that was originally done in the 50's. If not, read this article to get the scoop. Anyway, I guess it is just so sad to see a new generation of young black girls who still wish they could look like blond haired, blue-eyed white girls. How can we change this in our society? I would like to think that by so many of us going natural, young black girls will begin to get the message that all hair types are beautiful, not just straight hair. I fear, however, that while some progress is being made there is still so far to go. Just look at the dolls that are on the shelves at WalMart or Target or any other mass retailer. I bet you would be hard presed to find any dolls of color and especially a doll with natural hair. All the Barbie dolls with natural hair I found on the internet are crazy expensive (although really cool looking). I have never seen one of them in a regular store. I don't know... I don't have an answer for this. What do you all think? Would you buy your kids Barbies? Dolls in general?

Oh...and by the way. Read on:

January 11, 2008
Barbie created for sorority
CHICAGO

The nation's oldest black sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha, celebrates its 100th anniversary this month with serious goals and something just for fun.
A collectible Barbie has been created by California-based Mattel Inc. to honor the organization and its history of service.
The new Barbie's design will be revealed at the Chicago-based sorority's anniversary celebration next week in Washington, D.C., the site of its founding.

http://community.meacfans.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5171044881/m/1701051574

I wonder what she'll look like? One can only hope right?

No comments:

Post a Comment