Monday, January 5, 2009

For Caramel Goddess...

I've never really had super dry hair and maintaining moisture was not something I was overly concerned with. But I have to say that since I have been using this one thing in my hair I usually do not have to worry about dryness at all. And, I have a small dry patch in the front of my scalp at my hairline. What is this miracle product? Just good old raw Shea butter. I apply some Shea butter to that dry area and it goes away, where as before I would put a little oil but it would be back in a day or so. I use raw Shea butter on my face and all over my body. On the small tub I buy it lists all the wonderful things Shea butter is good for:

  1. Treatment of dry skin, eczema, and minor burns
  2. Pain relief from swelling and arthritis
  3. Improves muscle relaxation and stiffness.
  4. Sunscreen, due to its rich content of vitamins E&D
  5. Treats dark spots, skin discolorations, stretch marks
  6. Massages, diaper rash, and as a hair conditioner
  7. Product of Ghana
I apply the Shea butter to my hair after it has been detangled and rinsed, right before I two-strand twist my hair. You have to take a small glob, depending on the size of the area you are working with, and emulsify the butter in your hands until it's like a shiny coating on your palm. (Otherwise you end up with yellow globs in your hair!) Then I just rub it into my hair down the hair shaft. It does not completely disappear into the hair until it dries, it looks like a white-ish film. But once it's dry it disappers. It makes your hair feel sticky at first but once it dries it leaves my hair soooooo soft and moist. I don't have to re-moisturize my twist-outs until the next time I wash. Oh, and I have found this at my local beauty supply stores but I have also seen it in African stores. And I'm sure you can buy online if you prefer that method.

That said, I do not use the Shea butter for puffs or when I wear my afro out, it is a little heavy for that. I love Carol's Daughter Hair Milk for these styles. It has a lot of moisturizing ingredients that are light enough to not weigh down my hair but rich enough to keep it soft all day. I hate a crunchy fro! I just apply liberally and massage it into my fro until it disappears and let my hair airdry. I have purchased from their website before but the last time I got a bottle from Sephora. !

I really hope this helps anyone looking for ways to stay moisturized and fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment