Sunday, January 18, 2009

Is Natural Hair Sexy??

As I have been reading different blogs and searching the internet for info about natural hair, a common theme keeps coming up: Do Black men think natural hair is sexy? I remember when I did my first chop I never even gave it one thought. Granted, I was in high school, but still. I had a black boyfriend but I never once worried about if he would still like me or support my idea. Come to think of it, I was more worried about what my mom and grandma would say than him. It is so sad to read about the women who decided to embrace their beautiful natural selves and their men reject them. I cannot even imagine. Is it a matter of self hate or internalized racial oppression? I mean, black men have grown up in the same environment as we have, been spoon fed the same images of White female beauty as the standard and norm. So I guess it is not too hard to believe that what we found appealing would also be what they have come to expect. In a way, some men see natural hair as ok for a man but somehow unfeminine for a woman. Of course, this is changing as more and more beautiful black women are accepting and rocking their kinks, coils, curls, locks and fros in public. But I still read stuff about women who are afraid to go all the way out of fear of what their partner might think. On the one hand I say I am blessed to have such a supportive boyfriend who loves and accepts my hair just as it is. He never knew me as a relaxed girl anyway but still, he adores the curls and kinks on my head. On the other hand however, I feel like if he didn't accept it or like it he could keep it moving! Not to be harsh but my natural hair comes with this package just like ears or my nose or any other part bestowed upon me by God in heaven! I personally think sexiness and beauty radiate from within. If you are confident and happy with yourself, that shows and other people can feel it. When I look at Erykah Badu or Jill Scott or Goapele or India Arie ( and many many others) I see beautiful sexy women! They are talented and own their natural hair. I think we need more images in the media and in every day life. Young black girls AND boys need to see positive images of natural black beauty so that it becomes the norm for them. I am excited to think about the day when I (God willing) am able to have a son or daughter of my own and I can teach them to love and appreciate themselves just as they are. Hopefully there will be a whole generation of young ones coming up that have natural haired mommas who pass that down to them. So...what do you ladies (and gentlemen if you're reading this) think about this issue? What experiences have you had with this and how did you handle it? What advice could you offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment