Sunday, January 18, 2009

A New Routine... Baking Soda, ACV and Coconut Oil ( Love this Stuff!!!!)

Hey guys!! Today I tried a new routine instead of my normal wash and condition. I mentioned a few posts ago about scalp buildup and irritation. In the past I have always used Neutrogena T/Gel for seborrheic dermatitis and it usually takes care of the situation. Thanks to a comment from Anonymous, I decided to try baking soda and apple cider vinegar for a more natural approach. I read different comments online about how people use these two common household products and decided to use the baking soda/water mix first, then condition, then rinse with ACV/water. I bought some organic coconut oil for my scalp too to moisturize afterwards. This is what I did:

1) Rinse hair with water under the tub faucet.

2) Mix two tablespoons of baking soda in two cups of warm water. The water was murky at first but once the baking soda dissolved it became almost clear. I poured this mixture over my whole head making sure to get it on my scalp, especially in the places I have the most trouble (the front hairline from ear to ear and the top of my crown area). I massaged it into my scalp with the pads of my fingertips and left it on for about 3 minutes.

3) I rinsed the mixture out of my hair with lukewarm water.

4) I applied Nature's Gate Aloe Vera Moisturizing Conditioner all over my hair avoiding my scalp. It was like a thin opalescent liquid cream - very different than the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration I'm used to. I wouldn't say it made my hair "slippery" but I was able to detangle fairly easily. I let the conditioner sit for about 5 minutes while I mixed the ACV/water.
5) I mixed 2 capfuls of ACV in one cup of water. The scent was definitely strong but it didn't really bother me. After I rinsed all the conditioner out of my hair I rinsed with the ACV/water mix by pouring it over my hair. I left it on a few minutes then rinsed with cool water.


I have to say that since I used three new products on my hair I am not sure what effect the ACV/water mix had on my hair. But I CAN say that the baking soda mix completely cleared all buildup from my scalp! I was psyched!!!!!

To style I did the usual two-strand twists all over my head. I used an organic coconut oil by Spectrum ( I bought this at Kroger but I think you can find it in almost any grocery store) to moisturize my scalp and my hair. This oil is solid at room temp so I put the glass jar in a bowl of hot water to liquefy it. I poured a small amount into a bowl that I used to dip my fingers in while styling.


I also used a small amount of Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter on my ends.

About midway through, though, I decided that I need to focus on protective styles more. I have been manipulating my hair a lot and I noticed some breakage. I also need to be more consistent with the deep treatments with heat, I am sure that will help as well. So I finished twisting and let it air dry a little before I decided to pin up my twists. I tried to make sure all the ends were tucked under other twists and I secured the sections with bobby pins. There was no rhyme or reason for how I pinned up the hair, I just grabbed a few twists, tucked the ends, and pinned them down. I kinda like how it looks, I think next time I might make more twists so there is less scalp showing. But for the most part I think I will wear my hair pinned up all week and only take it down to wash, condition, deep condition, and re-twist. I don't know how long I plan to do this protective style but I do intend to try and maximize moisture and minimize breakage.

Here was the end result! (and don't ask me why the date is so wrong on my camera, only God knows)

My clean scalp (YEAH!!!!):

My twists before I pinned them up:


Back views of twists pinned up:





A side view of my pinned up twists:


Another side view of my pinned up twists:

No comments:

Post a Comment