Saturday, January 10, 2009

How to go from wash to twist - Step-by-Step


Hey guys! So here's a brief overview of what I do and what I use to wash, condition, and twist my hair. I described it before but here are some to go along, step-by step. I usually wear my hair in a twist-out style so when I do that I wash my hair once a week. Lately I have been using Carol's Daughter Rosemary and Mint shampoo. I only shampoo once and I focus on the scalp more than my actual hair. After I rinse I apply Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner (by the palm-full until all my hair is generously coated). If I am washing my hair in the shower, I get out to deep condition, I prefer to do so in front of a mirror and a sink.

I section off my hair with small clips and detangle it using the denman brush or a wide-toothed comb by starting at the bottom and gently working my way up as I loosen the tangles in my hair. The conditioner can get frothy and I usually end up with a bunch in the sink along with the hair I have shed that week. After a section is detangled I twist it up to keep it detangled and to get it out of the way. I do this until I have about 6-9 twists all over my head.

After I am finished twisting I rinse out all of the conditioner under the faucet in the tub, leaving all the twists in. Make sure to really rinse your scalp well, both in between the twists and within each twisted section, so you don't leave the conditioner to build up on your scalp. I usually take a towel and wrap it around my hair to just get the drippies but I don't try to actually dry my hair.

Next step is moisturizing. I take one section down to work with at a time. (This keeps my hair detangled and the hair stays wet in the twists which makes it easier to work with. If my hair dries while I'm twisting I just mist it with a spray bottle of water.) I apply a small amount, maybe a dime or quarter-size dollop, of DevaCare conditioner to the section and brush through with the denman brush. Then I take some Shea butter, emulsify it in my hands (you have to try your hands or they will be too slick to rub the Shea butter), and apply to the same section over the DevaCare. I again brush it in. I mentioned in a previous post that the Shea butter will feel stiff and sticky but it does NOT dry that way. It also looks like a white film but that also goes away once it has dried. The combo of DevaCare (thanks CurlyNikki!!)and Shea butter keeps my hair moist all week. In this picture you can see the Shea butter film, it's sort of white-ish.

Next I begin to twist within that same section, doing small to medioum sized two-strand twists. I make sure to rub in any Shea butter that may not have gotten emulsified enough so it doesn't dry in a clump.


I work from section to section until I am all twisted!

I try to do this on a Saturday morning so it can air dry completely before I sleep on it. If I am not being lazy, I will deep condition under my hooded dryer AFTER I detangle and rinse and BEFORE I moisturize. I usually sit under the hooded dryer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Below is what my hair looked like BEFORE I washed it that day, this was a week-old twist-out so it looks better when I first undo the twists. But, you get the gist! At night, I just wear a satin bonnet or I will twist up some sections to have more definition the next day. I'm stretching it out so you can see the length before shrinkage. This length is from April 2007 to today. I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment