Saturday, January 24, 2009

Disco Diva Donna Summer Returns with Crayons

Hey guys! Another music post. I was inspired to write this one by my step class at my gym, of all places! A new routine of my favorite class included the track Stamp Your Feet from this lady's latest effort. This past May marked the return of disco diva Donna Summer with her new disc, Crayons. Of course she is more my mom's generation than my own but I have always been fond of her familiar disco and dance hits. Songs like Last Dance and She Works Hard for the Money are total classics. So imagine my surprise to see Ms. Summer back on the scene with an album of completely new songs, her first in 17 years. It's surprisingly fresh, modern and energetic, as colorful as the title might suggest. I love the cover art because of the colorful lights and sparkly earrings reminiscent of disco balls which are like a shout-out to her club days. Not to mention she looks beautiful!

Amazon.com had this to say: The Queen is Back! Legendary singer songwriter Donna Summer is back with her first studio album in 17 years. In the thirty plus years that Donna Summer has been making music she has never confined her artistry to just one genre. Although Donna is, and will always be, "The Queen Of Disco" to many fans, her hits have spanned multiple musical genres from Rock to R&B to Inspirational and of course, Dance.

Summer helped to define the 70's pop music generation and Crayons has all the characteristics that made Donna an icon. Containing a potent mix of the up-tempo tunes and ballads, the new album showcases incredible new material that is written by Donna (who wrote or co-wrote the majority of her hits of the 70's and 80's).

My favorite track is Stamp You Feet closely followed by Crayons, the title track. Here is a preview of each track:

No comments:

Post a Comment