Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Heat Damage

Hey Guys! I was thinking back on my natural hair journey and one of the biggest lessons I have learned in my 9 years is that heat is bad. Ok, well, not ALL heat is bad. But constant thermal straightening can wreak havoc on your hair. I posted early on about this being my second round of growth after a BC. I chopped first in 2000 then again in 2007. The reason for the second chop was massive heat damage due to excessive flat ironing. And by excessive I only mean once a month (sometimes twice). The front of my hair was completely limp and I had no curl definition whatsoever. I would blow dry, flat iron, then hot comb my roots! (GASP!) I know, it was bad. When I wore a twist out I literally had to take a tiny curling iron and curl the ends to give it some semblance of a shape. Since my 2007 chop, I have only heat straightened once and I am determined not to do it again. I was so paranoid that I might have wasted chopping the second time around by permanently straightening the front part again that I couldn't even enjoy the straight look. Don't get me wrong, I loved the versatility of going between nappy/curly and straight but I must say I LOVE having perfect curls all over my head, especially in the front! I had to learn to embrace my natural styles for any occasion, whereas I straightened before if I didn't know what to do for a wedding, party, etc. My goal is to never straighten again. I know I know, that is a lofty goal. But I think the health of my hair is worth it. Below are some tips on dealing with hair damage and what you can do to avoid it:

(A healthy hair and a damaged hair, UGH!)

There is no quick fix solution to damaged hair. If the damage is minor then regular treatment will restore it to health. However, with major damage like split ends or excessive heat damage, only scissors will do the trick!

1. Keep up with deep conditioning and protein treatments to avoid dry, weak tresses.

2. Avoid using heat tools where possible. There are other healthier options of styling!

3. If heat is used, use a temperature controlled tool (never stove heated ones) and use heat protectant on the strands beforehand.

4. Always make sure to freshly deep condition if heat is to be used.

5. Clarify after swimming to remove chlorine residue.

6. Air dry where possible or blow dry on a cool setting.

Taken from: http://ezinearticles.com/?Managing-Heat-Damaged-Or-Relaxer-Damaged-Hair&id=1712186

Of course, adjust them to your personal routine but I think overall they are helpful tips. If you must straighten, at least choose a good tool that regulates plate heat. Click here for info to help you choose the right straightener for you. Believe me, use heat with caution so you don't have to start over from scratch like I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment