Friday, April 29, 2011

Captured Curls: Rachel Stewart

Many of you are familiar with the GORGEOUS Rachel of Rachel Stewart Jewelry.
I was finally able to catch up with her for a feature and
 this is by far one of my favorite interviews. See below for her story and fabulous pictures.



Rachel, I am a huge fan of yours! Thank you for agreeing to be featured on my blog. Can you give us a little background on yourself and amazing jewelry line?

I’m 38, a mom and homemaker, I started my jewelry line 3 years ago after being laid off from my job, I decided I didn’t want to go back in to the workforce and I began making and selling my jewelry from my blog TARGET QUEEN….



   
For those of us who have seen your gorgeous head of hair, we LOVE IT. Can you share your hair care regimen and products that you use?

Well, in February I did another big chop so the hair is GONE!...I normally shave my head every few years, it’s my favorite hairstyle and I always seem to go back to it around the 2 year mark…I always promise myself I’ll get to bra strap length before I cut it BUT I just can’t seem to make it that long…when I had hair I NEVER used shampoo, I condition washed only and used the same conditioner as a leave in, I believe buying a separate leave in conditioner is nonsense, it’s the same as your conditioner but maybe watered down or scented and packaged differently…I challenge anyone to skip leave ins and use your regular conditioner after shampooing or condition washing.
After 20 years of being natural I found that only one product worked best for me and that was my conditioner, I used garnier fructis triple nutrition deep conditioner as a shampoo AND leave in, I also did ACV rinses as needed, that was it for me!




3.       I read on Naturally Obsessed that you often shave your head after letting it grow out for a few years, I think that is amazing! How long have you been natural and what makes you want to shave your head?

Well as I mentioned earlier, I’ve been natural over 20 years and I just always seems to get to the same point after 2 years when I just NEED a change, plus the shaved head is my favorite style..so it’s not a big issue for me to shave it…long hair isn’t the only option for me..I love it long but short hair fits my lifestyle and personality even more.





Many of us are familiar with your jewelry line, how did you get started with making and designing jewelry?

I started a fashion and lifestyle blog about 3 years ago…after losing my job I decided to try my hand at making earrings and headbands and see if I could make some extra money…it just took off from there and since then my business has grown.



Your pieces are very unique, what inspires you when creating a new addition for the line?

I’m an 80’s and 90’s baby and I’m just stuck in that time…I like earrings that are big and bold like the ones I grew up wearing and seeing my mother wear, I just try to create things that are fresh, unique and eye catching…my earrings aren’t for the wallflowers.





What advice do you have for new naturals and business women looking to venture out in becoming entrepreneurs?

It’s not as hard as you think to get started, you don’t need an expensive website..blogs are free, paypal is free, all you need is a camera and a product..don’t hesitate, you don’t need a physical building or a bank loan to have a business anymore…just do it!

      
What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?

How can I NOT love what the creator gave me?  He knew what he was doing when he made our hair!

      Where can we find you on the web?

I’m everywhere:
http://rachelstewart.bigcartel.com/ (my shop)
http://rachelstewartjewelry.tumblr.com/ (tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment