Friday, April 29, 2011

Loc'd Man: Garfield

Please enjoy this weeks Loc'd Man...



1.      Tell us a little about yourself? (ex. name, age, state, school)
                                      i.      My name is Garfield. I'm a 25 year old 2nd year law student at North Carolina Central University. Born on the island of Jamaica, raised in Ft. Lauderdale
2.      How long have you been growing your locs?
                                      i.      September 2006 was my last haircut. I got my first twists done in December of that same year...so depending on what you count as the starting date, somewhere around the 4.5 year mark.
3.      What do you use on your hair, product wise, to maintain it?
                                      i.      Jamaican Mango and Lime Wax with the black top on it. It's the clear wax. They have other ones, but that's the one I use for my hair. I wash with a dandruff shampoo because my scalp is dry and sometimes gets flaky. I also use Pine Tar on my scalp. Smells terrible, but keeps my scalp healthy and helps with hair growth. I wrap it every night before I go to sleep as well.
4.      How often do you have to wash and re-twist your loc’s and who styles them?
                                      i.      At this point, maybe once every couple of months. I used to get it done more frequently when I was gainfully employed, probably once every 6 weeks back then.
5.      What do you think about women with natural hair? Do you care if your woman is relaxed, natural or loc’d?
                                      i.      I love women with natural hair. I noticed that it's becoming more popular these days and I'm all for it.
                                    ii.      It's not a big deal to me. I mean, as long as you take care of your hair and you look good with whatever style you rocking, then I'm not really in a position to complain. I will say that I've always had a love affair with women that have neatly done locks. Probably biased with that because my hair is loc'd too.
6.      Do you think women who choose to loc their hair are sexy?
                                      i.      Hell yes! Sorry...that was a little strong. I love women with loc'd hair. I've seen women with locs and the way they style them, it's just...man...it's a beautiful sight to see.
7.      What are the pros and cons about having your hair loc’d?
                                      i.      Pros are obviously less day to day maintenance. I wrap my hair at night, I wake up in the morning, I take the wrap off and I make moves. No brushing, no greasing, none of the prep time I had to deal with back when I was rocking fades. And I like the way the look. I think it fits my personality and my look. Also, having someone else wash your hair is hands down one of the best feelings in the world. Like...I see why women always get someone else to wash their hair. It feels pretty awesome.
                                    ii.      Cons? Summertime immediately springs to mind. These things get hot. Also, sometimes I can't get to the loctician within the requisite time, therefore, my hair tends to start looking real crazy. And the itching. Not as bad as it used to be, but every once in a while it flares up and I want to run clippers all the way through my hair. Other than that? Not much. Oh...and sitting under the dryer. Definitely not a fan of that.


8.      What made you decide to loc your hair? Have you always had hair or did you start your loc’s from “scratch.”
                                      i.      I've always wanted them, but we're Jamaican. I have Rastas in my family and I wasn't sure if it'd be offensive to my family if I grew them without taking on the entire culture. Plus, I wasn't sure of the costs, or who was going to do them. Finally, my senior year of college, I met someone who said they'd start and maintain them for me, so I got them done.
                                    ii.      As I explained earlier, I got my last haircut in September of 2006, so I pretty much grew my hair from the lowest fade possible, to where I am right now. 
9.      What makes a woman’s hair beautiful to you?
                                      i.      For women with locs, the styles they come up with can be absolutely amazing. I just think the way hair can be framed to fit someone's personality and bring out their best features can makes their hair beautiful. Also the way it smells after it's freshly washed.
10.  Do you have any advice for my readers who are considering loc’ing their hair?
                                      i.      Patience is a virtue. This is a long road, you gotta be willing to see it through to the end. Also, if a product isn't working, don't be afraid to switch up. Ask other people with locs what they use and see if it works out for you. It can take a while to find the proper products that go best with your hair, so don't be afraid to search for them.
11.  Where can we find you on the web?
                                       i.      http://twitter.com/#!/RealGoesRight
                                     ii.      http://realgoesright.wordpress.com
                                    iii.      http://chan-lo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment