Thursday, April 7, 2011

Captured Curls: Rachel

Many of you may recognize this natural's face from YT. Rachel, aka Jerseystylez, has been a YT favorite of mine fore some time now. I have been trying to get her on my blog for a while now and I finally did! I think you all will love her story and her YT channel! Click the jump to read her feature! 





Tell me about YOU
My name is Rachel, but many know me by Jerseystylez. That is the name that I do Youtube videos under. I have been natural for a little over two years now and I am loving it. I am a Christ Follower, Entrepreneur (simplynaturalyou.com), Hair Lover, Freelance Stylist, and a helper. My mission is always firstly to help others. That’s what motivated me to start the YouTube channel and to start my website and product line.

Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)
My hair care regimen is as follows:
- I co-wash my hair one to two times per week
- I deep condition my hair and sit under my huetiful hair steamer once a week (I always add my leave in and seal in the moisture after co-washing, shampooing, or deep conditioning)
- I moisturize my hair every other day (I like to use my own SimplyNatural Moisturizing leave in, the Giovianna’s Direct Leave in, or the Shea Moisture Leave in)
- I seal in the moisture with my SimplyNatural Shea/Mango butter or with other pure oils
- I shampoo my hair with sulfate free shampoos as needed (about once a month)
- I apply henna to my hair once every 6 to 8 weeks
- Lately I have been trying out different styles, but I do protective styles in between periods of hair styling and manipulation.

Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type
My hair texture is mostly in the 4b category, but I have sections of 4a as well. My hair is very tightly coiled and requires tons of moisture, deep conditions, and protective styling.
My hair loves shea butter. It softens it very well. I normally use butters for my twist out type styles. My hair does great using the SheaMoisture and Jane Carter Solution line of products.

Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural
I got lots of negative reactions when I first went natural. My Big Chop was pretty spur of the moment so many people were shocked. I work in a corporate environment so my coworkers seemed baffled. I got a lot of funny stares and “OMG, why did you do that?” I loved it and that’s all that mattered to me.

Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I did the BC. I got a texturizer and then got a weave right after. I found videos about the BC while I had the weave in my hair. Once I took the weave out, I did my BC, so technically I was about 2 months post relaxer when I did my BC.

What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
I love my kinks/curls/coils because they are all mine the way God made me. I love the versatility of my hair too! Anyone who knows me knows that I like to change up things from time to time and the natural kinks allows me to do this.

 Where can we find you on the web?
You can find me on YOUTUBE at http://www.youtube.com/jerseystylezz or on my website at http://www.simplynaturalyou.com

Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
I want everyone to know that beauty is what you say it is!




No comments:

Post a Comment