Sunday, February 13, 2011

The joyous improbability of Egypt

Yesterday, I opened the New York Times and saw a picture of Egyptian volunteers cleaning up Tahrir Square, the site of massive protests that led to the eventual, improbable resignation of dictator, Hosni Mubarak.

On the face of it, this is not a big deal: volunteers with surgical face masks, sweeping, picking up, clearing garbage that accumulated during the course of their 18 day public display of strength. But it was monumental to me. It showed me—again—that these people are organized, committed, and share a collective sense of hope and belief in the possibility of their country. This apparent absence of nihilism is something that I cannot take for granted. Freedom fighting goes far beyond carrying up signs (or arms for some of the misguided) in a demonstration of force.

In Egypt, people, young and old took the initiative to organize impromptu, to clean up the streets, and to protect their museums which house precious irreplaceable collections. We witness the Christian among the protesters surround their Muslim brothers and sisters to protect them as they prayed. This was all breathtaking to me as it showed me that there is hope for all mankind.

As someone who spent a number of years in Nigeria, and has gone back to Nigeria a few times, I will go out on a limb and say that what we witnessed in Egypt is impossible in a country like Nigeria. As things are, dead bodies are not picked up from streets, so trash certainly will not be picked up. My guess, young men will line up to kidnap whomever might yield them a handsome ransom, and the elites will certainly NOT come out and mingle with "common people" to protest against any oppressive government. Many, many people in Nigeria worship money and all ostentatious signs of it, so the idea that there is even a possibility of mass protests after a few cheap thrills have been sprinkled on some self-appointed leaders is unlikely. Few Nigerians feel any sense of responsibility for their environment, their fellow woman or man. My opinions will be challenged vehemently by people who are close and dear to me I’m sure. But I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

In the meantime, I will celebrate with Egyptians and wish them well as they begin to forge a new world for themselves, their children, and one that many of us across the world can learn from. Thank you and Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment