Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hair Food: Aloe Vera

Many of you are aware that I love Aloe Vera gel/juice for my hair and many of my staple products have aloe as one of the main ingredients. I read an interesting article this morning on some awesome ways that aloe vera gel/juice can be used as a pre-poo to prevent shedding and to promote a healthy scalp. The great thing I learned about aloe vera is that it not only balances the Ph of hair but it also cleanses the pores of the scalp. Everyone knows, or should know, that a clean and healthy scalp will lead to healthy growing hair.  A good pre-poo tip  is to spray or apply some aloe to your scalp and hair and let it sit for 15 minutes or overnight. The aloe will penetrate the hair shaft, seal moisture in the cuticle and prevent frizzing and dryness.  Folks over at Hairfinity say that, aloe has amazing conditioning properties and can be used as a leave- in conditioner after shampooing. I didn't know this but aloe is also a heat protectant! It can be used as a hair serum or as a protective gel before using any heated instrument like hair dryer or flat iron. I found it interesting that  aloe vera gel, wheat germ oil and coconut milk can be mixed together and used as a shampoo.It has traditionally shown great benefits for the growth of healthy, thick hair. Also, a 2:1 preparation of aloe juice/gel and extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil makes a great softner/detangler for new growth. 

I hope this little bit of information helped! It definitely gave me some fun new things to mix up in my kitchen at home. 

xoxo,
Alex




No comments:

Post a Comment