Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My "Good" Hair Story

Many people get confused with the term
"GOOD HAIR".
Especially in the African American Community.
I decided to write about this topic today because it's
very disturbing to me that people
confuse having "GOOD" hair as a texture
instead of looking at it from a health stand point.
Having good hair to me is having HEALTHY and STRONG HAIR.
I must admit, at one point I was HUNG up on texture.
My mother has fine curls, my dad's mother had slick fine hair that spiraled on the ends,
I have cousins who have very loose---"wet and wavy" curls and MY 2.5 year old DAUGHTER 
has silky fine curly hair.
I thought that, that type of hair texture was considered good.
How IGNORANT, right?
My hair on the other hand was long but relaxed until I was 14/15 years old.
My hair type is very thick and curly.
It's not coarse but it DEFINITELY is not fine.
I was confused for a long time when I FIRST (in 2005) went natural on 
the "type" of hair I had.
I didn't get the "pretty" or "fine" strands of my mother...
I must confess that I was very put off. 
That is one of the main reasons why I decided to revert back to getting relaxers.
Worst mistake ever!!!!
From that day I went back in forth between relaxed and natural hair
3 times, that's 4 years of hair DRAMA!!
I say to my mother all the time that "If I hadn't kept going back and forth with my hair, my hair would be HUGE by now". 
She laughs and gives me the "eye" and says "Yup, Alex, it would have but in due time it will be huge. Be patient"

ANYWAYS,

 I finally said ENOUGH is ENOUGH when
my hair had reached a point where it wasn't healthy.
It took about a year to get my hair back to it's
healthy "self".
After that year went by I decided that I was not going to relax my hair
anymore.
Which lead me to my transition.
I was nervous but ready.
I was scared because for a lot of women
being told you have "nappy" hair is such a bad thing and I did not want 
"nappy", coarse, dry hair.
I finally sucked it up and told myself...
"What God gave you is what he gave you and whatEVER your hair texture is, IT IS"
(LOL. I gave myself a major pep talk.)
I realized I wanted HEALTHY hair, that was not chemically altered in anyway.
I was no longer looking for my hair to be something it just WAS NOT going to be.
From then on I promised my self that I'd accept my hair for what it was.
I did just that.
After I BC'D I decided to wear my hair in extentsions because I was 
SO NOT into having a TWA.
Which I kind of regret now that I look back.
I skipped over the "watch me grow" part of me being natural.
I wore twist's, braids and weaves for 5 months.
I was SHOCKED when I took my hair out 
of the "protective styles".
Not only that, I was SATISFIED and CONTENT.
I was finally at a point where I was happy with my hair.
I was excited to see my curls pop and to feel that my hair healthy, strong and soft.
My fear of having "nappy" hair was so DUMB after look back on it.
My insecurity about not having "silky strands" was COMPLETELY stupid when I re-visit those thoughts.
I felt and still feel that I have accomplished something so great.
I also can help others on their journey's.
Going natural and STAYING natural has opened so many new doors for me.
I've learned how to maintain hair health and length.
I know what my hair likes, what it doesn't like and what works for my hair type.
Being natural for me has been great and eye opening.
It can really be a test of patience and courage.
I applaud all of my fellow naturals/transitioning ladies!
YAY US!


This is my "good hair" story!
Do you have one you'd like to share?
Email me at:1alexandra.smith@gmail.com if you do!







No comments:

Post a Comment