Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Captured Curls of the Week: Milan of "A Grl Can Mac Blog"





Tell me about YOU:
 I like to describe myself as a woman who is on a continual journey to radiate positivity, wisdom and serenity and has a grand passion for life. I'm an all things creative fanatic. I really think that it's one of the gifts God has blessed me with so in my appreciation, I act on it. I am a make up artist and a jewelry designer. I enjoy art/museum hopping, sewing, any kind of creative craft, making accessories, thrifting, fashion, reading, writing, dancing, going for walks, traveling, yoga; anything that's an outlet for me to be me. My latest fascination is photography. I go for walks just taking pictures of things and friends, etc. that I think would make beautiful pictures. I'm intrigued by capturing moments and am saving up for a DSLR camera. I also am getting more into expressing myself through entertaining: think intimate dinner parties, cooking more interesting things besides the basics (the Food Network is a huge influencer on this one) and interior decorating. I, of course, enjoy all hair but afro textured hair and its beauty has a special place in my heart b/c it is what I have.
 
 Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...):
 I don't use much heat; none in the summer cuz i
t's too hot for all that. I'm not a heat nazi though, I'm just not dependent on it. 
My regimen is simple:
 Condition, wash, and acv rinse every one to two weeks
Henna (gloss) every one to two months
Moisturize daily and/or as needed
 
All the products I use are made up of all or mostly natural/eco-friendly ingredients. I find in my case, the more natural ingredients a product contains, the less build up I get from it so this works best for me but I always encourage others to find what works for them. And when you're starting out don't be so concerned going the all natural route right away b/c sometimes we waste too much time and our hair is suffereing in the meantime. It's ok to go with what you know first and then slowly switch things out.
 
Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type: 
Like most naturals, I have more than one texture going on. The majority of the texture is coily in varying degrees. It's more silky and loose like an "S" curl in the front and sides-they don't like to hold styles as well but I work with them. I like oils (grapeseed, coconut, avocado, castor), my homemade hair mists, hair creams, and creamy hair lotions for my hair. My hair strands are fine-medium so it gets weighed down and builds up easily which is why it hates butters. Only time butters are my friends is when I am twisting my hair and leaving them in for a few days.
 
 Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural:
It was all love. Some of my friends and family members were shocked b/c I cut my hair so soon. The ones I did tell knew that I initially planned for a looooooong transition. I was scared of the BC and had never had hair that short outside of when I was a baby. After a while though, it's not that it was hard for me dealing with the two textures, it just got annoying. It got to the point where I only wanted to deal with ONE  texture and I knew I had no interest in relaxing so I did my BC myself and shocked everyone but they liked it and said that it fit me. Most I didn't tell what was going on at all (because I don't feel you have to shout on the mountain tops what you're doing to your hair) so they were surprised b/c they didn't see it coming. Lol. I just had the "it's hair, it will grow back" mentality. 
 
I haven't received any negative reactions but I wish somebody (usually with a jacked up, short see-through ends perm or jacked up weave) WOULD say something bad about my hair. I would look at them like "are you done now?" It's my hair, I take damn good pride in and care of it and I will wear it how I please. We have to realize that not everybody is going to like everything we do but we must be confident in decisions that will effect and enhance our lives and be unapologetic about it. You don't owe anyone an explanation nor do you need their approval. It's your life and your body; your hair. Have conviction behind what you do.
 
 Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long? 
I transitioned for 7 months before doing the BC.
 
What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
 As is grows, I'm able to do more and more with it. Everyday, I get more and more fascinated at all the cool stuff this hair on my head can do. #ohhowicovettheversatility The styling options, sans a wig, weave, or extensions; are bananas.

 You can find Milan on the websites below:


Extra Stuff:
As cool as hair and afro textured hair is and as much as I enjoy it too, it's not the end all be all. It really is just hair; there has to be a moot point after a while on how much energy we put into it. There are no "bad" hair textures. The only way they are bad is if you give people/society permission to make you feel that way. I'm a believer that your hair should not define you. It is a very small percentage of who you are and gives no idea what kind of soul you have, what you value or what you stand for. You could be a Satan worshipper, your hair will not give an indication of that! Please take pride in your hair, wear it how it suits you best and be unapologetic about it but don't let it get the best of you. There's a whole world out there and I'd hate for you to miss it b/c you were living it around your hair.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment