Friday, June 25, 2010

Captured Curls of the Week: Angel

Everyone...
meet ANGEL!
A beautiful natural sharing her story on going natural.



Tell me about YOU
My name is Angel, and I am proud to be natural! Throughout my whole life, (prior to my big chop), my hair has been super long and thick. (I have pics to prove!) lol. I was always recognized as the "pretty girl" but deep down inside I had the lowest self esteem. It wasn't until I decided to go natural that my confidence boosted tremendously.
          During my seventh grade year of school, I went to a salon that my mother had seen Black women walking out with their hair swinging. The gentlemen asked me did I want a "Revlon or Motions" relaxer and I picked a Revlon relaxed because I associated it with a white woman. After my hair was finished and styled, my hair was swinging like no other. My hair had been cut into layers and I thought I was the stuff. Many compliments I received, but a couple days later I discoverd my head was covered in hard scabs. The relaxer had burnt my scalp! My hair started getting bald spots and the dermatologist diagnosed me with alapecia. That's a lot for any 12 year old to go through. Thank God I had enough hair to hide it.
        Later on my mom made me wear braids to help my hair grow back, and it took a total of four years for it to get completely back to normal. Later on in my sophmore year of highschool I got a relaxer, and sparingly touched them up until my junior year when I decided to go natural. I went back and forth, but I decided on May 7, 2009 that that would be the last relaxer I would get. Thank God it was!


Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...)
I have tried so many different products, but as of now, I only use Creme of Nature Lemongrass & Rosemary Leave-in and Shea Moisture Curl milk and smoothie. I co wash my hair about 3 times a week, apply my leave in throughout then use a quarter sized amount of curl milk and smoothie for my whole head, and do a cold water rinse then seal with the leave in. I don't shingle, and I don't use gel. I want my hair to be as natural as possible, and I was beginning to depend on gel to get a certain texture, but now I'm done! I want my wash n go's to be just that!
 Tell me your texture and what works best on your hair type
My hair texture is fine and thick. My hair type varies throughout my head. (3a-3c, maybe small bits of 4a)


5. Tell me the reaction you got when first going natural
Everyone was shocked because I did it on Wed November 11, 2009 and didn't tell anyone I was doing it! My family made me feel horrible, and the comments that I heard were AWFUL! I still hear comments to this day. Now most people love it on me, and I have been fortunate to inspire so many women. Most of all, my boyfriend (later on husband) loves it, and he appreciates my beauty.

 Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I transitioned for 6 months then I BC.

 What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
The fact that they are mine and that God trusted me with them. I didn't know my hair could be so beautiful. So many women ask me on a daily basis "How do you get your hair to curl?" "Do they rod your hair?" and everytime I say "It's natural" either they don't believe that's possible, or they say I have good hair and I'm lucky. I correct them, and it saddens me because I wonder if I would have thought the same thing if I kept being brainwashed. I love my natural,and my future babies will love their natural too!



 Where can we find you on the web?
You can find me on facebook. My name is "Angel Lyriq Peters" and I have a natural hair page on facebook called "Natural Nirvana" I also am on naturalsunshine.ning.com under "Angel Peters"


Anything EXTRA you want us to know?

I just want all you ladies to be encouraged and LOVE YOUR HAIR! Don't love someone else's and not appreciate your own. Love your's! It is beautiful. God doesn't make any mistakes, and he made none creating your hair!


No comments:

Post a Comment