Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Captured Curls: Kira

Hello Beauties-
I would like you all to meet Kira and her beautiful hair!

Read her story below:



Tell me about YOU:

My name is Shakira and I absolutely LOVE being natural. My last relaxer was February 2004 so I guess you can say that I've been completely natural since 2005. I am from the Bronx, NY -born & raised-. I work full time as a case manager at a domestic violence shelter but I will soon be returning to school @ Columbia University to obtain my MSW (Masters of Social Work). I'm a really laid back type of chick who loves to laugh and LOVE.

 Tell me your hair care regimen (do you use heat, natural products, ect...):

My hair care regimen varies depending on the season. During the warmer months I used to keep it braided or twisted but w/ the need to become more "economically friendly" youtube has become my friend and I have learned to style my hair myself. Let me say that  I am absolutely in LOVE w/ Pantene, it leaves my hair very soft and smells GREAT!!!! Once I wash it I grease my scalp w/ Isoplus Natural Remedy  Tea Tree & Aloe conditioner then massage my hair w/ a little bit of Glossing Polisher from Organic Root Stimulator. Lastly I use a healthy portion of "Curls" Curling Creme by Vigorol  and run it through all of my hair to help define my natural curls (sounds like a lot but its NOT lol). Next I air dry and go on about my business!!!!

When its colder outside I sometimes go to the beauty parlor and get my hair pressed which is the only time I use heat on my hair. I choose not to do this too often because I don't want my hair to become "trained" & then I run the risk of losing my hair's natural texture. So if I don't go to the beauty parlor I follow my summer time regimen.
What is your texture and what works best on your hair type:
My hair is naturally curly and its pretty soft but very THICK. It doesn't take much to manage it at all, a little water and some gel and I'm good to go. I'm still learning what works best for me though
What reaction did you got when first going natural?It's funny because I don't really remember people's reaction. I gave no thought to going natural honestly. It was something thatjust sort of happened. I would perm my hair every 4 months or so.
 Did you BC or transition, if so when or for how long?
I had my last perm February 2004 and in April 2004 decided that I no longer wanted to perm my hair so I began the transition. At first I would keep my hair braided or twisted  b/c the two textures were NOT cute lol and aside from that I really didn't know how to manage or style my hair w/o a perm. Idid that for about a year or so. In November 2005 my godsister (who became my 1st natural hair dresser) began to maintain it for me w/ braids (my own hair) and some pressing, she also began to gradually cut the perm out
 What makes you love your kinks, curls and coils?
Simply put I love the versatility of it all. I can go from curly to straight to kinky all without using harsh chemicals

Where can we find you on the web?
Facebook (Shakira Nicole) & twitter www.twitter.com/KiraNicole

 Anything EXTRA you want us to know?
I didn't take the time to enjoy my natural hair journey as I see so many others have but now that I'm here I am enjoying every minute of it from the styling to the maintenance to the forums and I vow never to return to the creamy crack



No comments:

Post a Comment