Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Lemon Cure?


I am quite frustrated with my skin lately. It all started a few months ago when I started using shea butter on my face. I would only use a small amount but apparently even that was more than enough for my skin to get annoyed with me and promptly reject my new efforts at natural skin care by displaying multiple breakouts. I usually only broke out once a month around my cycle so imagine my disdain at my cheeks sprouting a new zit every few days.

Well, since then, I discontinued use of the shea but I still have battle scars of the breakouts left on my cheeks. Two things I've noticed:

1) EVERY pimple now is leaving a scar whereas I used to only occasionally get a dark mark.
2) It is taking FOREVER for them to lighten! They used to disappear within weeks.

Why is this? Maybe it's hormones. Maybe it was stress from school. Who knows. I still eat well (most of the time) and work out regularly.

So I say all this to say, I am on the lookout for some kind of natural remedy to the scarring. Breakouts are under control but I want to get rid of the dark spots the old ones left behind. I have always heard that lemon juice is good for lightening up old acne scars so I decided to search the net. Here's what I found:

Lemon juice is, of course, a citric acid and very rich in vitamin C, which has no end of benefits for all skin types. The citric acid acts to exfoliate the skin, an important step in treating acne. It’s also an astringent, thus drying the zit itself. Lemon juice is also a natural skin whitener, so it can act to reduce a pimple’s redness. A bit of lemon is also good for applying to fresh acne scars, both for the exfoliation that speeds up the healing and for temporary bleaching to improve the look of the skin.

Ok, sounds nice. But what about those of us who have sensitive skin?

For people with sensitive skin, however, this can be too harsh. The acid can sting and even burn slightly. Mixing the lemon juice with a bit of honey, yogurt, or egg white, however, can help cure the acne while protecting your skin. If you go this route, mix the lemon juice – about half a lemon should do – with a spoonful of egg white or honey and apply as a mask for 20 minutes. Some people sleep with lemon juice mixed with honey on their face, but the mess on the pillow may not be worth the possibility of clear skin in the morning. If you want to use lemon juice at night, dab a tiny bit on with your finger or a Q-tip. Be sure you only touch the pimple itself, or you may wake up with a white spot where the rest of the lemon juice ended up. (Excerpts taken from HERE)

I'm really tempted to try this because it is starting to get on my nerves. So here is where YOU come in! I know I am not alone in this and I want to know what you all do to rid your gorgeous faces of scars. And I am sending out a specific shout out to Jc of The Natural Haven for help on this one. *PLEASE*

No comments:

Post a Comment