Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Other "N" Word...

I don't know why this popped into my head but I guess it kinda goes along with my Hair Envy post. What do you all think about the word "nappy"? Is is bad or good or just plain neutral? If someone were to refer to your hair as nappy would you frown in disgust, anger, and resentment or would you take it as a compliment? Is this a term that people should use to describe the kinky, curly, coily, and wavy hair of African Americans? Lastly, is it like the other other "N" word- meaning it's okay for 'us' but not ok for 'them' to say? Here's a thread discussing this very topic on Long Hair Care Forum. Hmmm.... just a random though but I'm curious to know what you all think.

BTW I do have my own opinion on the subject but for now I will keep it to myself so hopefully everyone will feel free to openly express their own view.


Photos are from Carolivia Herron's book entitled Nappy Hair, which endured it's own little controversy in 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment